Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Aluminum jack stands
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Are they any good?

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/pro...13386_200313386
arkitect
No, but I like the looks of them...pinned and made of aluminum so they are light.

I picked up 4 jack stands the other day at an estate sale but they were the screw type and either aluminum or alloy for a outrageously cheap price of $5.

Dave
ConeDodger
I have 4 Harbor Freight Aluminum jack stands in my 'track kit'. I have never had to use them or the aluminum "race jack" that I bought with them but my god they're gorgeous! biggrin.gif
Katmanken
Interesting comment in the ad. One guy liked the "small footprint". Smaller footprint means a more tippy jackstand. Long as they are used with that thought in mind they should be OK.
Ericv1
QUOTE(kwales @ May 7 2011, 06:21 PM) *

Interesting comment in the ad. One guy liked the "small footprint". Smaller footprint means a more tippy jackstand. Long as they are used with that thought in mind they should be OK.

I have a pair that came with an aluminum jack that I bought from Home Depot. I've been using them for 3 years now. The base is actually about the same size as the jack stands that I purchased from Tractor Supply last year. I've never had any tipping problems.
Gint
No, I don't have those, but I'd like to.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(Gint @ May 7 2011, 05:38 PM) *

If Mike trusts them, they have to be good. laugh.gif
ConeDodger
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 7 2011, 05:54 PM) *

QUOTE(Gint @ May 7 2011, 05:38 PM) *

If Mike trusts them, they have to be good. laugh.gif

WORD!!! Once you've had one fail, and a car land on your beak, you might have an opinion on jackstands!
avidfanjpl
I have 2 of them and I love them. I use other blocks of wood and a jack 1/4" off of contact since I live in SoCal.

They are gorgeous, light and I put them under the front doughnuts, but I always have other things to catch the car in case we get a 7.4 or stronger.

I also spend as little time under the car as possible.

I want to drive the car, not cushion it!

John
McMark
I have some BluePoint stands that are awefully similar looking. They don't go very high, but they work great when I use them. Never had any stability problems.
euro911
I like aluminum stands as their light weight makes them good travel stands.

The aluminum ones I have have wide bases which I prefer, especially if needing to use them on a less than ideal (read - flat) surface.

For home/shop, the heavy duty ones are fine, don't need to be light weight.

The ones shown look nice and I like that they are pinned, but I don't like the small bases ...

McMark
Consider that a jackstand base is only as stable as its smallest flat sides. I just measured a set of 'small' clicky harbor freight jackstands and they're 6.5" from flat to flat. My BluePoints are 7" across. So the BluePoints are more stable.

The link above lists...
Base L x W (in.) 6 3/4 x 7 1/2

So the ones linked to above are also more stable (6.75") than the HF stands I measured.
StratPlayer
Got a set for christmas, haven't taken them out of the box yet.
Tom_T
I looked at them, but haven't bought because I have a set of 2 old school steel pin type wide framed square base stands which are pretty stable that I'd like to match with some garage sale types - since nobody apparently makes that type anymore.

Another option is the sets of 2 or 4 aluminum screw-type wide base stands which Camping World online sells for trailers for $22 & $45 respectively IIRC. Look online at their website.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.