Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Does any one know....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bdstone914
Does any know what kind of tape is used to wrap the wiring harness in the car? AND where can you get some to give your resto that OEM look?
jim_hoyland
If you mean heat resistant sleeving, try: http://www.eagleday.com/elparandtool.html
tod914
3M cloth tape - 46-0069-0
bdstone914
Anyone know of a source for "46-0069-0" tape? Google doesnt seem to know anything about it. Going on the 3m website it has 10000 options and I have no idea which tape it is.
tod914
Bruce, that's all that is on the back of the roll holder. Looks to be 3/4" black fabric/cloth tape with adhesive on the back side. I'm pretty sure I picked it up at a hardware or autoparts store. Home depot should have it in their electrical dept.
Eric_Shea
Home Depot
Rex-n-effect
VW/AUDI use the same tape, part # 000 979 950. I found it one day when i was looking in the auto/ship electrical repair kit we had to buy for the new cars.

Rex
rick 918-S
Bruce, are you asking about the cloth tape that is wrapped around the headlight and tail light harness like a stripe on a candy cane? You can still see the wires but the tape just holds it together in a bundle. That's not 3/4" wide guys. Is it? confused24.gif I'm going out to measure it. idea.gif
rick 918-S
The cloth tape on the front and rear harness is around 1/2" If you can't find it maybe a guy could chuck a roll of 3/4" into a lath a cut it down with a razor blade. If you find it LMK I have to rewrap the Ravenna car. Some P. O. thought it would be a good idea to blow overspray all over the harness.
ChrisFoley
I have some extra rolls of cloth tape we purchased for harness retaping.
Was considering putting it on the website for resale at one time, but never got around to it.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 8 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Was considering putting it on the website for resale at one time, but never got around to it.

Chris, How many do you have? I don't want to step on Bruces question but I would take one if you have an extra to sell. LMK.
markb
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 8 2011, 06:21 PM) *

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 8 2011, 04:39 PM) *

Chris, How many do you have? I don't want to step on Bruces question but I would take one if you have an extra to sell. LMK.

I'd be interested in one of these also.
ChrisFoley
I probably have at least 6 rolls to spare.
proto31
Home depot sell the 3M brand, it's called electrical friction tape. if you cut the role in half with a band saw you get the correct OEM width as well, good stuff, about $4 a roll.

Dan
r_towle
Any place that sells hockey equipment also sells the tape.

Rich
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 8 2011, 05:39 PM) *

Ok,
The tape rolls I have are 1/2" wide x 100 ft long.
It appears a bit more like black duct tape vs. the original cloth tape in that it has a vinyl-like coating over the fabric.
I bought it from an electronics supplier and their part # doesn't correspond to the MFRs tape numbering system, so I can't provide exact specifications.
However the MFR makes several harness tape products, and I only found one listed in 1/2" x 100ft rolls.
The intended purpose of this product is automotive wiring, made by Polyken.

My sales price is $2.50 plus $2.95 delivery per roll.
I'll create a Paypal Link which I can email to anyone who wants to make a purchase.
Scott S
another option is bicycle handle bar tape. We cut it to the correct width and were able to perfectly duplicate the black woven harness covers on the white jag and the MGTF. I also used it for both the front and rear trunk harnesses on the 914. sorry for the cr@p pics....
detoxcowboy
Any professional Electicians store will carry it, I had same question and then found some in my fathers garage, he was a union electician and it is very common supply, laughed when I thought it was a "special" tape.. $3 a large roll
Kansas 914
Is the original tape adhesive backed? I thought it was more like "lacing" tape - that is why the ends are tucked and tied?? confused24.gif

I need some this weekend as I am laying the wiring harness back in the '72.
tod914
Has adhesive Mike. Even if you go with the 3/4, I doubt many people will be able to tell it's not original if you maintian the same wrapping distance as the factory. Be interesting to get a roll of what Rex suggested as a comparison.
tod914
Has adhesive Mike. Even if you go with the 3/4, I doubt many people will be able to tell it's not original if you maintian the same wrapping distance as the factory. Be interesting to get a roll of what Rex suggested as a comparison.
tod914
Double post please delete.
Kansas 914
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 9 2011, 04:31 PM) *

Thanks Tod,

I guess after almost 40 years the adhesive has disenigrated.... Mine is like paper.

I will use friction tape!
Drums66
QUOTE(proto31 @ May 8 2011, 09:30 PM) *

Home depot sell the 3M brand, it's called electrical friction tape. if you cut the role in half with a band saw you get the correct OEM width as well, good stuff, about $4 a roll.

Dan

This is what you want?? idea.gif
bye1.gif (maybe what you need??)
bfrymire
This one?

http://www.mcmaster.com/#electrical-insulating-tape/=c8ikot
ChrisFoley
Your link doesn't go to a specific product.
None of the tapes listed is the same as what was used on 914s at the factory.
The electrician's "friction tape" is described as having adhesive on both sides, not the same as oe.
Pat Garvey
THIS is what it was. No great deal of precision, but close.

These are my original, unmolested, wiring harnesses in the rear boot. As you can see, the workers did a fair job, while they were shooting the breeze with guys on the next line.
Pat
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.