Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carbs...which brand?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rob-O
So I've been doing a little research on carbs lately. My car has a 1.8L, FI cam (I know I know) and a 009 distributor (double I know). The carb is some hobbled up Holley two barrel set atop one of this manifolds that sits between the stock FI runners. This is how I bought the car, and I know from experience this setup is terrible. The car barely idles, has terrible acceleration, etc.

So I want to get a dual carb setup, but really am not sure what manufacturer I should be looking for. I hear scary things about Dell'Ortos (parts availability), that the new Webers are made in China and are crap. I didn't think Empi made a great wheel so I'm not hopeful their carbs are great. In addition to the size of the carb, what brand should I be looking for?

Doesn't seem to be a lot for sale in the classifieds, and those that are seem too big for my 1.8L...
914itis
I am shocked that the experts did'nt shme in yet. I am using 40 webbers and I am very happy with them. they are PITA to sync, but once you get them running right they are great, give it a few hours, they will be here.
pilothyer
Weber 34 ICT-----Weber 40 IDF------Delorto DRLA 40-----Keep in mind you may be looking at a cam change more suitable for Carbs, but anything will be a marked improvement over that set up you have now.
914itis
I dont mean to hijack, but what areas will you get these improvments with let's say 40 idf's?
Cevan
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 7 2011, 07:24 PM) *

So I've been doing a little research on carbs lately. My car has a 1.8L, FI cam (I know I know) and a 009 distributor (double I know). The carb is some hobbled up Holley two barrel set atop one of this manifolds that sits between the stock FI runners. This is how I bought the car, and I know from experience this setup is terrible. The car barely idles, has terrible acceleration, etc.

So I want to get a dual carb setup, but really am not sure what manufacturer I should be looking for. I hear scary things about Dell'Ortos (parts availability), that the new Webers are made in China and are crap. I didn't think Empi made a great wheel so I'm not hopeful their carbs are great. In addition to the size of the carb, what brand should I be looking for?

Doesn't seem to be a lot for sale in the classifieds, and those that are seem too big for my 1.8L...

Might I suggest getting an L-Jet distributor before switching to carbs. I'm assuming your engine is stock. L-Jet is very reliable when you eliminate the vacuum leaks.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(Cevan @ May 8 2011, 05:58 AM) *

Might I suggest getting an L-Jet distributor before switching to carbs. I'm assuming your engine is stock. L-Jet is very reliable when you eliminate the vacuum leaks.

You quote his message, but did you even READ it? He has a single Holly Weber carb ..............

The Cap'n
NJ914Guy
I just removed a single carb and 009 distributor and went with dual Weber 40 IDF's and a SVDA distributor. I found great pricing on the carb kit from Texasaircooled.com part # K1347 for $690.00 complete with manifolds. The kit did not come with veloicty stack, got them from CB Performance. Got the dizzy from John @ aircooled.net which has the vac advance, which i hooked up to the vac ports on the dual 40's with a T in the vac line. My car is running great now. Also did a new facet fuel pump/filter in the front trunk and all new stainless fuel lines and rubber connect hoses. Of course a complete tune up, and the distributor has the points elimination module from Pertronix.

Here are some vids of the car:

Post with Youtube Videos

PM me if you need specific details.

-Chuck
Razorbobsr
QUOTE(NJ914Guy @ May 8 2011, 09:52 AM) *

I just removed a single carb and 009 distributor and went with dual Weber 40 IDF's and a SVDA distributor. I found great pricing on the carb kit from Texasaircooled.com part # K1347 for $690.00 complete with manifolds. The kit did not come with veloicty stack, got them from CB Performance. Got the dizzy from John @ aircooled.net which has the vac advance, which i hooked up to the vac ports on the dual 40's with a T in the vac line. My car is running great now. Also did a new facet fuel pump/filter in the front trunk and all new stainless fuel lines and rubber connect hoses. Of course a complete tune up, and the distributor has the points elimination module from Pertronix.

Here are some vids of the car:

Post with Youtube Videos

PM me if you need specific details.

-Chuck
Whats the advantage of the SVDA dis?? I have a dual carb setup IDF, wheres the vac port? Bob
sww914
The .009 distributor was designed as a high performance distributor that would work with everything. It doesn't. No distributor works with everything. The .009, in my experience, works well with high revving big cam motors, not with a stock 1.8 for instance which is the exact opposite of a high revving big cam motor. If you have a distributor that has an advance curve that matches your engine it will run better and not damage it's self.
yeahmag
36 Dellorto's would be a perfect setup.
NJ914Guy
Follow this old thread for a great pic of the vac port location on Weber 40 IDF carbs - thanks to R-Towle. The SVDA eliminates the 009 flat spot off idle, and the engine revs and pulls from idle to redline much smoother and stronger.

LINK
Cevan
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 8 2011, 09:30 AM) *

QUOTE(Cevan @ May 8 2011, 05:58 AM) *

You quote his message, but did you even READ it? He has a single Holly Weber carb ..............

The Cap'n

Oppps. smoke.gif
914 shifter
QUOTE(Rob-O @ May 7 2011, 03:24 PM) *

i thought the new webers were made in spain.
Insist on ONLY
Genuine Weber Carburetors
manufactured in Europe/Spain for the last 30+ years
1 Year warranty
IF you find it Cheaper We will try to Beat It !!! Just Call 1-800-994-2272
Drums66
......If you are going to do it(carbs) get Dells!! idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.