Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Rear deck lid latch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
partwerks
I know the top part of the rear deck lid latch is adjustable. My deck lid will latch but if I shorten it up any more then it won't catch. Currently the nut on the back where it turns only has about 1/3 of the threads of the rod turned into the nut. I've tried shortening it, but that don't help matters any. It sits at least a 1/4" high and won't latch for sure.

If I take the top latch off, the lid closes just perfect.

I also finally got access into the locked deck lid by using a electric fence post and going in under the rear passenger side of the deck lid and pushing the plunger down. I also noticed someone had drilled a hole at an angle just in front of the tag light to push the linkage in the latch to open it. I just used a stainless steel leader used for fishing and drilled a hole in the bracket/linkage and attatched that to the end of a cotter pin and ran it back down through the existing hole and put a key ring on it as a secondary back up. The problem with the solenoid was that something tore the ground wire off to it and rendered it useless.
914itis
You still did not solve the issue?
partwerks
The solenoid is working again, but is a bit lazy about popping up all the way up. I suppose a person could put a bit of a spring on there to baby sit it.

At this point it seems a matter of adjustment to get it to latch correctly and get the lid to come down a bit.
914itis
how did you get it open?
914 shifter
QUOTE(partwerks @ May 7 2011, 07:52 PM) *

I know the top part of the rear deck lid latch is adjustable. My deck lid will latch but if I shorten it up any more then it won't catch. Currently the nut on the back where it turns only has about 1/3 of the threads of the rod turned into the nut. I've tried shortening it, but that don't help matters any. It sits at least a 1/4" high and won't latch for sure.

If I take the top latch off, the lid closes just perfect.

I also finally got access into the locked deck lid by using a electric fence post and going in under the rear passenger side of the deck lid and pushing the plunger down. I also noticed someone had drilled a hole at an angle just in front of the tag light to push the linkage in the latch to open it. I just used a stainless steel leader used for fishing and drilled a hole in the bracket/linkage and attatched that to the end of a cotter pin and ran it back down through the existing hole and put a key ring on it as a secondary back up. The problem with the solenoid was that something tore the ground wire off to it and rendered it useless.

"If I take the top latch off, the lid closes just perfect". i had the same issue with the car i just bought. if you look under the rear you should see the seam is separated. i had to weld back together and do some hammering. then some body and paint work. previous owner must have pried it up with something. or you could just get a good lid. it is the lid reinforcement/bracing section just fore of the 2 latch mounting holes. Scotty B a 914 member who does body work pointed this out to me. i was baffled too.

partwerks
I used a electric fence post and went under the rear passenger side and over to the plunger and pushed it down.

I looked under there and I'm not seeing any cracks whatsoever.

I wonder if those rubber stops in the corners need to be turned in more yet?
partwerks
For grins and giggles, removing the rubber stops didn't allow it come down any further.
No cracks on the underside.

Seems to me it would be something pertaining to the top part of the latch as when it is out is lays perfect and in, it is too high. Could there be something to the fact that the spring has too much brass horns. I've adjusted it shorter but then it won't latch.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.