Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: OT: Last Volkswagen Beetle Goes to Pope
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
Last Volkswagen Beetle Goes to Pope

VATICAN CITY, MAY 26, 2004 (Zenit.org).- The last Volkswagen Beetle made in Mexico has been given to John Paul II.

The car, one of a limited series of 3,000, was given to the Pope today at the end of the general audience by Luis Manuel Abella Armella, president of the Mexican Volkswagen concession. He was accompanied by a delegation of workers of the Puebla plant, where the car was made.

John Paul II blessed the car and the delegation when he returned to the Apostolic Palace after the general audience, Vatican sources said.

The gift was in gratitude for the Holy Father's visit to Mexico in 2002, when he canonized Juan Diego, the Volkswagen employees explained.

The light blue Beetle, which will have a Vatican City license plate (its initials are SCV), is the last in this series of cars whose origins date back to the 1930s. Some 21 million "bugs" have been produced over the years.

Their production stopped in Europe in 1978, but continued in Mexico until last July 30.
red914
i remember seeing new looking buses while down in buenos aires in '92, and being told they were made under contract in uruguay. anyone know anything about it? the next questions concern importablility, and quality? nice to start off with a newer, relatively rustless bus, eh?

btw, did you know that the pope was quite the skier as a priest and bishop in poland? yep, skiing has the official endorsement of the Almighty, i figure...
Jake Raby
The very last one made in Germany is Type IV equipped, Via Jake...... When it came to my shop it had 27 miles on it since 1980.... The guy that owns it tried his ass off to buy the very last one made in Mexico, but no one would talk to him. Now I see why, thats cool....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.