Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WCR 2011 caravan from the SF Bay Area
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
SirAndy
Here's the proposed route for our WCR 2011 caravan to Medford, OR.

Wednesday, June 22nd:
Leave the SF bay area and drive up 101 to Crescent City, CA (6 1/2 hours).

Thursday, June 23rd:
Stay in Crescent City overnight and drive to Medford, OR using Highway 199 (2 1/2 hours).

There are a couple of nice motels in Crescent City that are right at the beach going for between $80 to $120 a night.

WCR 2011

Sunday, June 26th:
Leave Medford and drive back to the coast using Highway 199.
Then highway 101 down to Benbow and stay at the Benbow Inn (5 hours).

Monday, June 27th:
Leave the Benbow Inn and continue to the SF bay area (4 hours).

driving.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
zx-niner
I plan to leave Thursday morning from Merced (about 45 miles south of Modesto on Andy's attached map) and make the entire drive to Medford in one day. I'm open to caravaning with anyone on a similar schedule. Then I'll make the entire return trip Sunday.
biosurfer1
Steve,

There will be a caravan from Sacramento Thursday also. I'd love to do the coast drive with Andy but I can't take that much time off work so I'll be going a more direct (and probably more boring) route.

There will be another thread on that caravan, dont want to clog up Andy's thread biggrin.gif
SirAndy
Anyone? Tabor? Marty? confused24.gif
fiid
Not sure if I'm going to be able to go at all, but little route suggestion.....

Take the 5 (or something fast) to Red Bluff, and then head west on route 36. Route 36 from Red Bluff to Fort Bragg takes the best part of a day, but that road is EPIC. They call it the roller-coaster, and it's day 2 of the California Melee.
Mike Bellis
If I was going, I would caravan with you. Too many things to do and not enough money. Next year Andy!
SirAndy
First post updated with new info ... piratenanner.gif
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2011, 02:33 PM) *

I don't think I'll be leaving on Wednesday as I want to spend some time in Oregon after the WCR visiting family and friends. I'll probably just drive up on Highway 5 on Thursday or Friday morning. Looks like a great route though. piratenanner.gif
Elliot Cannon
What time will you be leaving Wednesday? My Sister lives in Lafayette and I might stay at her place Tuesday night and leave the next morning. Although I will be in my 4 cyl. car and might not be able to keep up with you. laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 11 2011, 12:08 PM) *

What time will you be leaving Wednesday? My Sister lives in Lafayette and I might stay at her place Tuesday night and leave the next morning. Although I will be in my 4 cyl. car and might not be able to keep up with you. laugh.gif
Cheers, Elliot

I was thinking about leaving around 10:00am so i don't get stuck in commuter traffic leaving the bay area.
With pee breaks etc., that would put us in Crescent City around 5:30 - 6:00 pm, which is perfect ...

driving.gif

PS: Can you do 80? That's about as fast as you can go anywhere on that drive and i'm not in a hurry.
cheer.gif
greenie
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 9 2011, 12:33 PM) *

Hey Andy,

Can you plot a route from Seattle so I can make the run with you?

I'm really looking forward to seeing all my NorCal friends again, it's been to long for me. welcome.png

See you in about six weeks.

Greenie
SirAndy
QUOTE(greenie @ May 11 2011, 06:33 PM) *
Can you plot a route from Seattle so I can make the run with you?

This is the exact route i took when i drove back to CA from the WCR in Seattle.

Well, on my trip we stayed overnight in Bandon, OR and then drove back to Oakland the next day.

You can make that drive down to Crescent City in just about 12 hours.

It's spectacular the whole way down. You get to see enough coast for a whole year.
biggrin.gif

Elliot Cannon
I drove that route from the WCR in Issaquah. Nice ride.

PS I can do 80 MPH but don't much any more. Especially on Interstate Five. The last time I got a ticket in the Yellow Zonker, I tried to explain that my car was a Toyota and the throttle stuck. The CHP officer said, "I'm not sure what kind of car this is but I'm pretty sure it ain't a Toyota". (Traffic school)... (Again)
Cheers, Elliot
SirAndy
Well, it looks like it's only Jim Tabor and me. Can't wait to get on the road ...

cheer.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2011, 12:37 PM) *

QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 11 2011, 12:08 PM) *

Cheers, Elliot

I was thinking about leaving around 10:00am so i don't get stuck in commuter traffic leaving the bay area.
With pee breaks etc., that would put us in Crescent City around 5:30 - 6:00 pm, which is perfect ...

driving.gif

PS: Can you do 80? That's about as fast as you can go anywhere on that drive and i'm not in a hurry.
cheer.gif

If I left home at about 06:00 that would get me in Oaktown about 10 or so. That would be about 12 hours in the car to Crescent City and just too much for "Mr. Medicare". I might drive up the "5" and then take my time down the coast coming home. The coast highway around Big Sur should be re-opened by then and that's always a great drive. OR, I could leave on Tuesday and meet up with you on Wednesday morning. Maybe there should be as many of us as possible together for when Tabor breaks down. av-943.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Jun 11 2011, 11:21 PM) *
If I left home at about 06:00 that would get me in Oaktown about 10 or so. That would be about 12 hours in the car to Crescent City and just too much for "Mr. Medicare".

Leave the night before and stay at my house. I got a large guest bedroom.
smile.gif
jimtab
I'm NOT breaking down this time.....the car....maybe.....Dr. Evil will be driving it this next week while he's here on vacation.....
SirAndy
QUOTE(jimtab @ Jun 12 2011, 12:43 AM) *
I'm NOT breaking down this time.....the car....maybe.....

That was a classic! And you even did it in slow motion. lol-2.gif
jimtab
Well.....since I'm at or approaching "classic" status I have to try to be more "classic" in all respects....
SirAndy
Only two more days ... cheer.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.