Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: transmission input shaft seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mightyohm
Does this look ok?

I am not sure if I drove the seal in enough. It looks like the sealing portion might be riding on the turned portion of the shaft.

(Brad/Andy, this is what I was talking about earlier.)
mightyohm
closeup
415PB
Looks like you drove it in too far. I drove mine in to sit flush with the ridge.
SirAndy
hmmm, yes, i think i had mine flush with the outside.
looks like you got it in too far ...

if you still have oil in it, lift the back up and rotate it and see if it leaks.

should be fine tho,
smash.gif Andy
mightyohm
I don't think it's too far. The sealing edge on this seal is right at the front where it sticks out a little. The stock seal has the sealing edge recessed 1/2" into the seal, not this one. If anything I would think it's not driven in enough, since the raised portion with the lip is not riding against the smooth part of the shaft. If I take the shaft and wiggle it back and forth I can see a small gap!
Red-Beard
A little too far, but it should be fine. Fill it and run it.
Mark Henry
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 26 2004, 09:02 PM)
If I take the shaft and wiggle it back and forth I can see a small gap!

Once it's bolted to the engine it can't "wiggle".
Levi
QUOTE(415PB @ May 26 2004, 08:33 PM)
Looks like you drove it in too far. I drove mine in to sit flush with the ridge.

I'm not sure it isn't flush, I can't really tell in the picture, I tried to enhance it a bit to see if it can be seen better.
Is that the outer lip of the seal flush with the case that I have circled?
mightyohm
This seal doesn't have an outer lip.

Also the sealing "lip" of this seal is not 1/2" into the seal like the OEM seal, it's right up front where you can see it touch the shaft.
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ May 27 2004, 11:02 AM)
it's right up front where you can see it touch the shaft.

well, then pray it doesn't "wiggle" after it's installed ...

sad.gif Andy
MarkV
The factory seal had a flange that fit into that recess. The factory seal is no longer available. The seal in the photo is installed correctly. Mine doesn't leak & I used the same seal.
mightyohm
Mark, doesn't it look like the seal is riding on the turned portion of the shaft? You know what though... I tilted the tranny up, spun the shaft, and no leaks... So maybe I am just worrying too much (what Brad told me in the first place).
MarkV
I was woried about mine too. It's been in for a year & it is bone dry.
bondo
I just pulled a tranny apart, and the smooth portion of the shaft is almost an inch long. It had two wear spots on it, both near the middle of the smooth part. Maybe the seal would work better backwards?

--Royce
mightyohm
It probably would, but it would be harder to drive in given the lack of a big flat ring to bang on. The body of the seal is shaped like a U on the backside.

Take pics of the insides of those transmissions you're taking apart. I want to see that 4th gear. biggrin.gif
bondo
Ok, I'll also take a pic of the huuuuge mess I made of blue trans juice smile.gif

--Royce
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.