Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: windshield install
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
matteyp
Does anyone know where I can find a step by step windshield install thread. I'm not going to be using the clips or chrome trim. I saw something on here a few months ago but I can't seem to find it now. Or maybe someone can give me there own install procedures? Thanks

Matt
McMark
Remove the old windshield.
Clean the old seal off.
Clean the old seal off.
Clean the old seal off.
Wire brush/sandpaper the rust spots.
Metal Ready the rust spots.
Rattle can paint the rust spots (make sure to mask off the rest of the area).
Lay the butyl into place.
Clean the windshield with glass cleaner and 000 steel wool (won't scratch) if you're reusing old glass.
Get someone to help you lay the glass into place. Make sure to get it centered and call out how much room you have to each other. You want the glass centered as much as possible, but since you won't be using the trim, you don't have to get it as perfect.
Once you touch the glass to the butyl, it's stuck.
Press the glass firmly into place all the way around.

Test fit your rubber seal to make sure you're ready to glue it in.
Fill the gap between the glass and the window frame with urethane sealant.
Set the seal into place and start taping it down as you go with masking tape.
Once you have everything where you want it to be, go have a beer or three and wait for things to set up.
matteyp
cool thank you, what about the spacers? Do I need them, and where do they go? Thanks again
rohar
Another angle:

Prep as above.

Call a local mobile glass shop, let them know you already have glass and need it installed

Pay them about $100

Giggle like a school girl when it cracks because it was too close to some piece of steel and it's under their warranty rather than yours.
McMark
No need for spacers in my experience.
ldsgeek
QUOTE(rohar @ May 8 2011, 06:59 PM) *

Another angle:

Prep as above.

Call a local mobile glass shop, let them know you already have glass and need it installed

Pay them about $100

Giggle like a school girl when it cracks because it was too close to some piece of steel and it's under their warranty rather than yours.

Yeah, I asked my local shop, which has done other glass for me, about doing this. The response was, even if the glass was delivered to them intact, since I didn't buy from them if it cracks it's my money, not theirs. I'll have the shop that is installing it supply it, even if it costs more. That way when/if they break it I CAN laugh and not cry.
sean_v8_914
I was doing a write up here about that. I want to finish it but cant find it now...dont kow how to find it
brenz
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ May 9 2011, 11:10 AM) *

I was doing a write up here about that. I want to finish it but cant find it now...dont kow how to find it

While veiwing your profile, under Profile Options search Find Member's Topics.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...=120415&hl=

matteyp
I'm installing, windshield is already out...
Bills914-4
I just had mine Replaced this weekend ,( SafeLite ) the total $370.00 installed , ( install labor was about $85.00 )
Bill D.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.