Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Empirical Evidence that Murphy is left-handed ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
smontanaro
I decided today would be the day to tackle the rear brakes on my /6. For no particular reason, I started on the right side. Aside from running back and forth to the computer to check Eric's great thread on caliper adjusting the the Pelican tech article on replacing pads everything went swimmingly. Ellen and her mom came home just as I was buttoning up the right side.

With about three hours to go before we had to leave for my brother-in-law's, I launched into the left-hand side. Immediately, things began to go wrong. I use one of those rechargeable flashlights that comes in the cordless drill kits. It shines just enough light and is easily adjustable. It quit working. Replace the battery. Nope. Filament looks intact. Rummage around in the basement for a corded light (no hood - blinded by the light...) I go to remove the inside dust cap (the one you get at through the trailing arm) and I can't get the 4mm allen wrench to bite. "Great. I have to pull the caliper because the dust cap is chewed up, just like Eric said." Reach into my tool box and get my trusty 7mm/11mm VW-ish brake wrench, only to find out I can't get enough leverage to undo the brake line nut. Okay, so maybe I can pull the caliper with the hard line still attached and move it far enough to get at the dust cap. Pull the bolts. Go to remove the (clevis?) pin connecting the parking brake cable to the lever, and the little clip breaks off. Plowing ahead, I do manage to get the caliper moved enough to get at the dust cap. Guess what? There was nothing wrong with it! I must have just kept missing the hole. (This is where Murphy's practical joker side shines through. He loves to remind us from time-to-time that we are all basically idiots.)

It's now getting close to my self-imposed 4pm drop dead time, so I button it up for the night. There the car sites with one shoe off.

A couple questions...
  • Is there a special crowfoot wrench available for removing the brake bleeder nut?
  • Can I just get a plain old circlip to replace the little over-the-end clip I broke?
sigh

Skip
jaxdream
You could remove the one from the parking brake cable inside to use untill you get a replacement . The parking brake cable shouldn't fall off , I would rather have the outside more operational than the inside . Both are on the parking brake setup , one to me just seems more comforting to know it's there . My $.02 ,maybe wrong , but hey , I've done it before.

Jack / Jaxdrem
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.