Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator options: Bosch reman, aftermarket, custom rebuild
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
What's the best value in replacement alternators out there?
John
QUOTE(Rusty @ May 8 2011, 08:47 PM) *

What's the best value in replacement alternators out there?

For your /6 or for the 4-cyl cars?
avidfanjpl
BOSCH NOS OR rebuilt 55A. Stay within the original spec for all 4 bangers.

Too much could go wrong if you go to 75 amp.

I got a NOS for under 100. Still have to install it, but the OEM Bosch is running fine.

John
Rusty
Hi John (from KC): Good to see you online. For a 914-4. I have a couple of 914-6 alternators in a foot locker... somewhere in the attic... or the shed... or the garage. blink.gif

JPL: I didn't know NOS was still available. For under $100, that sounds like a good deal. No need for me to jump to 75 amp.
John
QUOTE(Rusty @ May 8 2011, 09:04 PM) *

Hi John (from KC): Good to see you online. For a 914-4. I have a couple of 914-6 alternators in a foot locker... somewhere in the attic... or the shed... or the garage. blink.gif

JPL: I didn't know NOS was still available. For under $100, that sounds like a good deal. No need for me to jump to 75 amp.

For the 4's, I would agree and would also add that you should make sure the wires and connectors are all good and clean + make sure your voltage regulator is operating correctly.

jsayre914
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 9 2011, 12:00 AM) *

Ive had a 75 amp rewound to 120 amp in my car (stock 1.8 w/ L-jet) and its a daily driver. I have had 0 problems. confused24.gif

of course i also have 2 batteries in the bay idea.gif
enderw88
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 8 2011, 08:00 PM) *

Can you expand on this? What sorts of things can go wrong with a higher output alternator? Are you concerned about the potential to overheat the wiring if other loads are put on the system?
Dave_Darling
For any of the Bosh alternators, make sure that the rear cover isn't shorting to anything. There was a while where one of the bits inside the alt was touching the cover. Some trimming of the stud (I think?) was required to make the alt work in that case.

--DD
SLITS
Dave is correct. The remanufacturers used a stud that was to long (B+ I believe) and when the cooling cover was installed it would short to ground frying the alternator.

Yes Bucky, the alternator generally does not come with the cooling cover nor pulley installed.
Rusty
By the way... I ended up getting a quality reman Bosch from Perry Kiehl. Good deal - he has a bunch on the shelf.

Now I just gotta find some time to put it in. When I had time, it was fucking 100 degrees and 187 percent humidity. hehehehe
vwsamba
I got 2 bosch remans that did not work out the box, took them to local alternator shop and they laughed at how it looked inside, no hope of working , after that i always have them rebuilt and tested locally before install to save the frustration of fitting a dead alternator mad.gif
dflesburg
We just had GreatPumpkin's alt. rebuilt. it took one day and cost $65 looked brand new when it was done, then I bought a new electronic voltage regulator to go with it, $33

Its only 55 amps... would have liked to upgrade to 75 or more but $ was a limiting factor.

Rusty
QUOTE(vwsamba @ Oct 3 2011, 09:12 PM) *

I got 2 bosch remans that did not work out the box, took them to local alternator shop and they laughed at how it looked inside, no hope of working , after that i always have them rebuilt and tested locally before install to save the frustration of fitting a dead alternator mad.gif

I can imagine that would be very frustrating. It's why I like to use good folks like Perry who care enough to check what they ship to customers. first.gif
ellisor3
I used these guys for my alternator. They ship fast and test them before they leave. Price was very reasonable. You can send them your alternator and they will rebuild it and ship it back.

http://stores.ebay.com/Eagle-Auto-Electric...1513&_pgn=2
Drums66
QUOTE(vwsamba @ Oct 3 2011, 08:12 PM) *

.....Good practice thumb3d.gif
bye1.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.