Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Clear coating CF hoods
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ewdysar
I bought a set of carbon fiber hoods in a group buy here a few years back. They did not have any clear coat on them. I installed the front hood a few years ago and have kept the car outside under a cover. The front hood now has a couple of cloudy patches, which assume to be UV affecting the clear epoxy.

I'm still a ways off from painting the car, but I would like to get some UV protection on the front to keep it from getting worse and on the back lid before I install if to protect it from the start. I don't want to do anything that will cause a problem when I paint the whole car later.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric
charliew
It's just the clear gel coat dulling, you can buff it out.
McMark
confused24.gif

Take them to a paint shop and have them clear coated.
ConeDodger
QUOTE(ewdysar @ May 9 2011, 10:54 AM) *

I bought a set of carbon fiber hoods in a group buy here a few years back. They did not have any clear coat on them. I installed the front hood a few years ago and have kept the car outside under a cover. The front hood now has a couple of cloudy patches, which assume to be UV affecting the clear epoxy.

I'm still a ways off from painting the car, but I would like to get some UV protection on the front to keep it from getting worse and on the back lid before I install if to protect it from the start. I don't want to do anything that will cause a problem when I paint the whole car later.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Eric

Cloudy patches? This is unconscionable abuse. This cannot be tolerated. I will be by to pick them up. Please have them unbolted and ready... av-943.gif
ewdysar
Of course I was looking for answers that would be more effort and have worse results... slap.gif

Thanks for being the quick voice of reason. Sometimes I'm just too wrapped up to see the easy answers.

QUOTE(McMark @ May 9 2011, 02:31 PM) *

confused24.gif

Take them to a paint shop and have them clear coated.

sixnotfour
they have to be UV protected , so yes bodyshop clear coat. I had mine done when I first got and they are smooth and shiny.
scotty b
Wash them, buff them to get the gloss back, then scuff them with a grey scotch brite pad and clear coat them. If you don't buff first, you will still have the cloudy spots in the glass resin
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.