Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bodywork/welder in SoCal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ewdysar
Does anybody have a recommendation for a reasonably priced bodywork shop? welder.gif

I've got a set of steel 914/6 flares, an Engman inner long kit, the regular rear stiffening ket and a set of trailing arm stiffeners that I would like to get installed. I believe that I should also replace the very back part of the rear trunk floor. The tailights have leaked and I've now got a little extra ventilation back there. I don't have the trunk floor peice yet.

The rear flares may need a little extra work to fit the 9x16's with 265/45s so the job may not be just cut and paste.

I'm in the Pasadena area.

Thanks,
Eric
EdArango
Hey Eric,

You may want to give Gabriel a call. Good guy. He installed my Engman inner supports, new floorboards, a some misc welds on my car. He is mobile so he can come to you and you can't beat his price. Tell him that Ed in Huntington Beach recommended him.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=117017

Ed
mepstein
Sean Malloy - He's on this site and knows 914's rust repair and flare installation. He's in San Diego
sean_v8_914
I know im all teh way down in san diego but I would like to apply for that job. welding is one thing but welding on a 40 yr old rusty 914 is a different game altogether. my all out assault on rust is second to none. IM on a mission to kill rust. I dont use teh standard GT kit either. I wrap it around teh corners at teh point where the chassis goes up at teh base of teh B pillars.

the down side...I am not close. I am not fast.
sean_v8_914
gt kit, re-inforced suspension pick up, new jack point, new inner wheel house.
scotty b
Want to piss off a good bodyguy ? Ask him if he is " reasonable " That term relays to CHEAP, which give the impression you want something for nothing. I tell you this from personal experience. Where I am I get ALOT of guys wanting to know if I am " reasonable " these guys are the type oooking for aa candy paint job on a 93 Caprice for 800.00. Seriously, 800.00. Materials alone will be 500.00 of that so they want an all over candy job for 300.00 dry.gif I look them straight in the eye and tell them no.

Either you want a "reasonable " job or you want a good job. The guy that does a "reasonable" job with flares will most likely tack weld them on, mud the cracks, and will have all 4 fit differently, the you go to mount your rockers and you find out why his price was so reasonable. It takes me an average of 35 hours to do a set of flares properly. Figure that by your local shops rates. Demand pictures all the way through.

You get what you pay for
'73-914kid
I can attest to Sean's fab work and welding skills in regards to 914's. I've seen his work first hand, and if you want it done correctly, and don't have the means to do it yourself, he is definetly one of the best options in SOCAL.
mepstein
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 12 2011, 10:18 AM) *

Want to piss off a good bodyguy ? Ask him if he is " reasonable " That term relays to CHEAP, which give the impression you want something for nothing. I tell you this from personal experience. Where I am I get ALOT of guys wanting to know if I am " reasonable " these guys are the type oooking for aa candy paint job on a 93 Caprice for 800.00. Seriously, 800.00. Materials alone will be 500.00 of that so they want an all over candy job for 300.00 dry.gif I look them straight in the eye and tell them no.

Either you want a "reasonable " job or you want a good job. The guy that does a "reasonable" job with flares will most likely tack weld them on, mud the cracks, and will have all 4 fit differently, the you go to mount your rockers and you find out why his price was so reasonable. It takes me an average of 35 hours to do a set of flares properly. Figure that by your local shops rates. Demand pictures all the way through.

You get what you pay for

ewdysar
QUOTE(scotty b @ May 12 2011, 07:18 AM) *

You get what you pay for

I guess what I'm asking for is a lead so that I do get what I pay for. I know that there are plenty of shops that will charge high prices and still do a crappy job. My car will never be a show car, but I don't want it to end up looking like a prop from The Road Warrior. I'm looking for competent work at a fair price. This round of work will not be a full "everything off" restoration. No rotisserie, all of the glass and wiring will stay put. I'm still debating how much of the suspension needs to come off.

Scotty, I appreciate the time estimate for the flares, but if the shop rate is $100, they would be too rich for my blood. Since I'm on the west coast, I'll never be able to use your considerable expertise, but just to set my expectations, what is the ballpark figure that you would charge to install a owner supplied GT flares?

What I'm I'm a little surprised at is that my 914 is starting to make my 27' racing trimaran look like an inexpensive hobby. Everything for the 914 is coming at me in "boat bucks" ($1000 increments).

However, the 914 is just a hobby and I want it done right, but I can't afford perfect. I'm trying to find the balance.

Eric
BKLA
I've heard it said that we teeners are CSOB's. I prefer to think of us as frugal. I love that I have someone like Rothsport to do *some* of the work on my track car. But if I had them do everything they recommended, I'd be broke! And divorced!

Pick someone good, discuss what you want done, work out a budget and time frame that is reasonable for both. Be happy!
scotty b
QUOTE(ewdysar @ May 12 2011, 10:10 AM) *

QUOTE(scotty b @ May 12 2011, 07:18 AM) *

You get what you pay for

I guess what I'm asking for is a lead so that I do get what I pay for. I know that there are plenty of shops that will charge high prices and still do a crappy job. My car will never be a show car, but I don't want it to end up looking like a prop from The Road Warrior. I'm looking for competent work at a fair price. This round of work will not be a full "everything off" restoration. No rotisserie, all of the glass and wiring will stay put. I'm still debating how much of the suspension needs to come off.

Scotty, I appreciate the time estimate for the flares, but if the shop rate is $100, they would be too rich for my blood. Since I'm on the west coast, I'll never be able to use your considerable expertise, but just to set my expectations, what is the ballpark figure that you would charge to install a owner supplied GT flares?

What I'm I'm a little surprised at is that my 914 is starting to make my 27' racing trimaran look like an inexpensive hobby. Everything for the 914 is coming at me in "boat bucks" ($1000 increments).

However, the 914 is just a hobby and I want it done right, but I can't afford perfect. I'm trying to find the balance.

Eric

I do flares only for 2000.00. That is mig welded, not tig, welds ground down and ready for primer and final shaping. 1500.00 if I am doing all of the body and paint work. Were someone to want them tigged and metal shaped to perfection that would be a time and materials job. The flares ( as you know if you already have them ) are better than factory, but are still way off from being perfect fits.
avidfanjpl
Greg Brinton owns Brintech in Stanton and is the best welder I ever saw. He is working right now on a 356, a 65 Ghia, an OUTRAGEOUS Plymouth Police Special from 68, a Ranchero Drag car and my 914.

He is even converting British Taxi's to mobile recording studios.

He did my entire 914 suspension too.

Mig, Tig, Acetylene, you name it. Full metal shop. Skills are top drawer and His rates are LOW!

4 bay garage off of Beach Blvd. He has a flatbed for pickups.

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.