Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 potential purchase
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MarkG
Looking at my first 914 purchase, may look at a '76 model (see link)...any pro-cons to the '76 models?

Thanks

http://www.cars.com/search/used/cc/standar...enver&src=&cid=
skline
Pros: 76 was the first year Porsche started using Galvanized steel for their cars, all 76's were 2 liter engines with side shift transmissions.
Cons: They still rust under the battery tray despite the galvanized steel, Smog equipment, heavy ass bumpers.
skline
Oh, one more Pro, being as the 76 was the last year for them, if you find one that was in late production, they added a lot of extras to them to get rid of extra parts, IE: sway bars, LSD, and other fancy stuff.
JWest
QUOTE(skline @ May 27 2004, 10:07 AM)
Pros: 76 was the first year Porsche started using Galvanized steel for their cars

914s were never galvanized.
seanery
I agree, my 76 was a rusty hulk.

If you want a good performance engine the 76 is pretty poor. If you just want a fun little car, the 76 is fine. The rubber baby buggy bumpers are a love-it-or-hate-it thing. 76's had smog equipment, so if you live in a state that regulates smog equipment you'll need to maintain it, parts could be a problem.

Now, don't get me wront, I loved my 76. Loved it so much that 10 years later I bought a 74 and now have a 72, too. MDB2.gif driving.gif driving-girl.gif
Jeroen
The '76 galvanizing was only on the 911s (and even then only partly) and maybe the 924

IIRC, the '76 914s were all produced in '75
Production ended in '75 (and so did the sales in Europe)

cheers,

Jeroen
brant
Yeah,
I gotta agree.. teeners weren't galvanized....

anyways to get back to the thread owner.
76 is fine and will be fun..
thats a nice looking car...
do some searching for rust.. Rust makes much more of an impact than year... All years are fun..

fixing rust is not fun

brant
Gint
Welcome to 914club MarkG! Are you on our local email list? We have quite a few CO Springs members.
ninefourteener
Looks like it may be sagging a bit in the rear.... it's only pic though.

Almost 7 grand? Sounds a bit pricey.
tat2dphreak
7K sounds steep, but if it's rust free(mostly) and runs, it's probably worth it...
Gint
Actually Mark, if you want, I can shoot over there tomorrow at lunch at take a look at it. I'll even bring the camera. Say the word...
MarkG
thanks Gint...no need though; I talked to the dealer, they have some folks looking at it, may even be gone by now! I was planning to head up that way anyway Saturday;

I will join the YAHOO 914 group too!

I'm still in the looking / thinking stage, don't want to make an 'impulse' buy (that's how I got with the Money Pit Ferrari...) but don't want to pass up a true deal either!

Thanks to all for input!
seanery
I'm sure you know this but, spending a little more money on a solid foundation will save a lot of money later.
Gint
I may go look at it tomorrow anyway if they still have it then. 'Cause I'm an addict. biggrin.gif If I do, I'll take the camera with me.
MarkG
Sounds good Gint!

And Seanery, you are 100% correct about spending extra up front for a better quality product!
Gint
Pretty nice car. Very nice paint. Didn't see a chip anywhere. Only real rust was in the rear trunk (see pic below). Longs and pan are NICE! Front trunk (no pic) looked good also. I didn't dig up carpet too much to look at the floor pans, but the underside looked great. If there is significant interest I can go back and look really hard.

I wouldn't want to pay $7k for it, but that's just me. It's a dealer, so that price should be negotiable.
Gint
nother
Gint
front
Gint
Jck posts on both sides look like they've been replaced.
Gint
Probably the worst of the rust on the entire car. And mostly heavy scale. POR-15 candidate.
Gint
Forgot the pic...
Gint
Full rear trunk view...
Gint
Interior is faded, but very presentable. I never did check for dash top cracks.
Gint
I guess the pic would help wouldn't it...
Gint
It's too bad this shot looks like on of Andy's. I have an excuse; it's a new camera. You can't really see how nice the longs and pan is on this car.
Gint
Dammit
Gint
It was hard to see the hell hole, but what I could see looked good. Under the battery is definitely OK. Car passed smog (being sold at a dealer, Colorado law).
Bleyseng
Looks like a real solid car!
Geoff biggrin.gif smilie_pokal.gif
Gint
Maybe not. The dealer salesman told me they did some bodywork on it but he couldn't remember what. Talking to Ferg yesterday he said he had looked at it sometime earlier and there was a rust hole in one of the front fenders. By the time I got there to look at it there was no rust hole to be found. Definitely buyer beware. I'd have to crawl all over it if I were a potential buyer. Especially after hearing that. And $7k? I don't think so.
mikester
It's also got pedrinis on it - unless it's been modified or the wheels have been modified to fit newer hubs those are rare pedrinis that fit newer cars.

eh?
tod914
Those rims where made for both early and late style. You have to check the serial number on the rim to determine. Strong likely hood they are late style biggrin.gif
neo914-6
(.. Money Pit Ferrari...)

Look for a solid original or mostly rebuilt car to avoid this.

How bad was the 308? I sold a '65 Maserati Sebring basket case because I didn't have the $15k to rebuild the motor, $10-20k for body work, not to mention interior, suspension, miscl parts. Most parts are NLA so folks can charge whatever they wanted...
Felix
MarkG
Dang, I might just have to trek up to Boulder this week, give it a real close inspection and see what kind of price can be negotiated....just looked at a '73 911T here in the Springs Monday.....not worth the $9200 price!

jaider.....my Ferrari was immaculate body/interior/rust wise; needed timing belts/gears/flywheel/clutch done ($12k right there...) Then rear wheel bearings (same as 911), both fuse boxes.....straw that broke Camel's back was timing cover bearing went bad: $600 parts and 22 hours labor!

That 914 in Boulder runs about as much as a full 30k mile service on my ex-308!
Ferg
I did see that car prior to the body work, there was some serious rust on the drivers front fender down by where it meet the drivers door. bubling from behind, so I would look carefully around the windshield and underneath the front by the blower motor ect. The owner/sales dude was less than friendly when I was looking at the car a month ago, but claimed he has owned dozen's of 914's over the years, blah blah blah. I do know of one other person who bought a 914 from him 10 years ago, supposedly with only 14k orig miles... I have seen the car and would question that claim.
Buyer beware.
Ferg
seanery
take a magnet
MarkG
Sounds like a pass, may still go up Saturday, if nothing else a good ToGo's #9 will make it worth the trip. Doubt dealer has much wiggle room on price if they had to repair/paint the car.....

I really liked the 914 featured in the last issue of Excellence, like the removal of roll-bar chrome and lip....very nice and clean look; would not want to do that to a pristine car, so maybe I will just keep looking for a solid 'project' car....

Anyone going to car show @ Arapaho College Sunday?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.