Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling steering wheel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
pman
I'm going to try and put a new steering wheel on my 914 this weekend. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks,

Paul
brians914
I have had mine off several times with no puller.
Gint
All of the 914 wheels I've pulled came off without much fuss. I can't remember the size of the nut that your going to need a socket for though. It's fairly large.
seanery
27mm and a 3" extension and you're good to go. Make sure your wheels are straight so you can get the wheel on straight the first time.
djm914-6
The only hard part is keeping the wheel from turning while you try to brreak the nut free from 30 years of corrosion. I used the bird's tech article about using a "club" to brace the wheel.
lapuwali
I've often found the nut isn't even on all that tight. It doesn't really need to be, since the shaft is splined. Loosen the nut, but don't completely remove it. Give the wheel a good yank or two until you feel it move, then remove the nut completely and pull off the wheel. If you don't leave the nut in place, you're likely to smack yourself in the head with the wheel when it comes off...
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ May 27 2004, 09:35 AM)
27mm and a 3" extension

more like 34 ... or was it a 36?

Andy
Gint
Yeah, seems like it was larger then 27 to me also.
skline
QUOTE(lapuwali @ May 27 2004, 10:17 AM)
I've often found the nut isn't even on all that tight. It doesn't really need to be, since the shaft is splined. Loosen the nut, but don't completely remove it. Give the wheel a good yank or two until you feel it move, then remove the nut completely and pull off the wheel. If you don't leave the nut in place, you're likely to smack yourself in the head with the wheel when it comes off...

I wonder how you would know that? I did mine the same way, I wound up using a BAW to take the bolt off. It wasnt that tight. Good thing too, cause a wrench doesnt get much of a grip on it.
SLITS
1 1/8" will work just fine!

Yeh, I know it's not German <_<
seanery
27mm, same as the oil pan for an Alfa Spider.
SirAndy
QUOTE(seanery @ May 27 2004, 12:13 PM)
27mm, same as the oil pan for an Alfa Spider.

you're on crack ... laugh.gif

i just did this a week ago and it was either 34 or 36.

27 is WAY too small, i tell'ya!
smash.gif Andy
seanery
I'm willing to wager a case of Red Tail Ale (I win) vs. a case of your choice if you win.

Care to put your money, err beer where your mouth is? cool_shades.gif
richardL
I just tried on mine - its a 27mm. Socket fits perfectly beer3.gif

R
SirAndy
QUOTE(richardL @ May 27 2004, 12:57 PM)
I just tried on mine - its a 27mm. Socket fits perfectly beer3.gif

first of all, YES, i'd be willing to bet my june salery on the fact that ON MY CAR it's definatly NOT a 27mm! smile.gif

now THAT raises a interesting question:

was there a difference between years in the size of the nut?
i have dealt with 3 different columns on my car, they all had the same size nut, and they ALL were in the mid 30 range, can't check right now, but it's either 34 or 36 ...

Andy
Gint
agree.gif with Andy Mine is definitely not 27. But I can't check it, cause it's 1250 miles away.
seanery
yer car is a freakjob. It's supposed to have a 27! (your car's not a freakjob, but the steering wheel nut is!)

Where's DD? He'll know....(that I'm right!) laugh.gif
Jeroen
I'm with Sean... It's a 27

cheers,

Jeroen
Aaron Cox
27mm here too. biggrin.gif
TheCabinetmaker
SAE=1 1/16"
MM=27

I've only dealt with 73's and later, but they have all been the same. I've never seen one excessivly tight, or a wheel that needed a puller. I think they have "all" been pulled on a regular basis over the years.

Disclaimer: please note the qoutations around the word all.
seanery
my 76 was 27.
my 72 is 27.
my 74 is 27.
TheCabinetmaker
Sean, did ya get that motor out and apart?
What's the verdict?
seanery
motor comes out saturday morning
TheCabinetmaker
Shit! Been a long day. It feels like next monday! wacko.gif smoke.gif
pman
Just finished, very easy job. It was a 27mm. Guess that settels it for my 74'
smg914
FYI, a 1 1/16 standard socket fits the center nut perfectly also.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.