Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Stoopid throttle cable!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mike_the_man
Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to replace my throttle cable. The old one was a little stuck when pulling it out, but a good yank got it free. Putting the new one in, on the other hand, is damn near impossible. I opened the access plate under the center tray, and the tube that goes through the fire wall was bent, so I fixed it up, and started to feed the cable in. Once again, it jams up!!! headbang.gif It seems that the tube is bent across it's entire length.

After doing a search and reading a couple of old posts, it sounds like the throttle tube doesn't run the entire length of the tunnel. On my car, it seems that somebody has doen some creative work in the tunnel, and there is a tube that runs the entire length for the throttle cable to go in.

So, a few questions. Should there be a throttle tube that runs the entire length of the tunnel? Would it be ok to cut the tube and run the throttle cable down the tunnel, making sure that it doens't get wrapped around the clutch cable? I'm frustrated, and I need a little guidance here.

Thanks guys (and gals),
r_towle
I had the same issue, try a coat hanger first to ream it out.

Rich
mike_the_man
I'll try a coat hanger, but I'm not expecting much. It looks like the tube is bent. Not badly, but enough that the threaded end of the cable won't pass through. Would it be bad to cut a chunk out of the tube? As long as the cable runs down the tunnel and doesn't get tangled around the clutch cable it should be ok, right? confused24.gif
Mueller
I know it's too late now, but next time, tie a piece of string to the old one from inside the car, when you pull out the cable, tie the string to the new cable and pull it back into the car smile.gif

My throttle cable still has part of the string from the PO..........

Yes, you can cut part of the tunnel, it's best if you can weld it back up afterwards........
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.