Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Battery placement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot_Cannon
My old battery tray was so rusted out I had to remove it (along with some other rust). I was thinking of relocating it to the front trunk. Has anybody done this?
Cheers, Elliot
Zeke
Oh yeh. Front trunk, back trunk, passenger footwell, all over the car. Mine is a little skinny thing mounted right behind the passenger seat on the floor. Just make sure you use cables big enough to carry the voltage over the distance. # 2 or bigger and fine wire, not coarse. Like welding cable.
EdwardBlume
I went to the back trunk after getting my tray removed and holes welded. I just sent the cables through the roof latch cup and had a custom metal welded on to keep the battery down on one side, with a bolt on attachment on the other.

The roof still fits in the trunk too.

ar15.gif ar15.gif ar15.gif
TimMartin
I moved the battery to the front trunk, and retained use of the removable floor and full size spare storage.

If you're interested, i think i have the template i used to make it as well as a list of the hardware. Pictures are on my which show the fabrication and installation (although there aren't many).

I started with a standard battery relocation kit, to get the wires and the hold-down clamps. In retrospect that was probably a waste of money since i didn't need the tray itself. You can buy the cables, connectors, and some metal bits to do the same thing for a lot less then the $70 that PerfProd charges for that kit.

http://talking-dog.com/914/23.html

.tim
SirAndy
when i bought my car the battery was in the rear trunk.
the original tray had been removed (rust i assume).

although i didn't have any problems with that setup,
while restoring the car i decided to put a new battery tray
in the factory location and i will be running the battery from there again.

Andy
Brad Roberts
Here is my take on the battery location thing:

1. when I see the battery moved in a car I want to buy...it means the car was rusted in that area (in my head) and the owner was too cheap to replace the battery tray (78$)

2. Rules. If..IF I want to autoX the car or do whatever.. most of the rules state you cannot move the battery into a different location from stock. So.. I show up to an event with a frront mounted battery and it throws me into a some wicked race class... all because the battery was moved. I *think* we are allowed to move it the rear trunk ( I dont need more weight back there)

These are just my opinions on moving the battery.

B
airsix
I have an Excide gel-cell in the front trunk. I welded a tray for it so that it lays (bolted down) on it's side under the carpet board next to the spare. Stealth. I'll find pictures.

-Ben M.

ps- rules wise it's either class-allowed, or my club doesn't care.
EdwardBlume
B

I moved the battery because the area was in fact rusted out. I figure if I sell the car the buyer can see the repairs very easily.

While it technically is a class foul on my part, it doesn't add HP, it isn't located in a better strategic place, and if somebody wants to nail me on it.... advertising @$$hole on their forehead would amuse me.

Then again, what does one charge to weld in a tray?

ar15.gif ar15.gif
joea9146
I put the battery in the rear trunk not because of rust, but was a nice place to put my MSD unit. Also freed up a lot of space in the engine compartment. My battery tray was a real bitch to cut out. smash.gif smash.gif

Oh and I also have an Oil cooler back there wink.gif
joea9146
Here ya go
J P Stein
I'm wit Joe, right down the line....put it anywhere you want, just move it.
Just don't try to sell your car to Brad, you CSOB. biggrin.gif

Class? I'm overweight, underpowered, undertired, undersprung, undershocked, underfunded...."battery in the trunk" is the least of my problems.
J P Stein
Hay, Joe, nice catch can. What was it in its previous life?
joea9146
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 17 2003, 09:29 PM)
Hay, Joe, nice catch can. What was it in its previous life?

It was a mayo jar .... biggrin.gif
J P Stein
Cool.
I finally tied down my mixed nuts jar
boxstr
Sorry I didn't take pics, today Jim Chambers and I took the 76 Brown car and had German Metal Works weld in a new battery tray and support. In the stock location.
Cleaning and welding took about 2 hours and cost $145.00 not including the tray and support. It also gave us a chance to look closer at the area below the battery.
The new owner will be happy and know that it is going to last another 20+ years.
CCLINCAMP914
nealnorlack
Thanks to all for the valued opinions. I really appreciate the info. What's the catch can mayo jar for anyway??
Cheers, Elliot
ChrisReale
QUOTE(nealnorlack @ Apr 17 2003, 07:05 PM)
Thanks to all for the valued opinions. I really appreciate the info. What's the catch can mayo jar for anyway??
Cheers, Elliot

Those elitists have 914/6's. Its to catch oil, why I have no idea..
J P Stein
QUOTE(ChrisReale @ Apr 17 2003, 07:06 PM)

Those elitists have 914/6's.  Its to catch oil, why I have no idea..

Hay, that's "elitist pigs".....anyhow, oils a comming out if you're workin' the motor....that's something else we eliteist pigs do. If you don't catch it, it makes a hell of a mess. I've pumped out as much as 6 oz (WAG) at an AX session.

Chris, you come down for the 4 May AX and I'll take you for a ride......then you'll know why it happens.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.