Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: oil level in my 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TomR
Hi I'm the proud owner of a '73 914.Just had engine rebuilt. Now it's a 2.4L 4. Has big bore kit & many racing part. Makes about 150bhp & 170 ft. lbs. of torque. I had external oil cooler installed just in front of engine behind drivers seat. It' close to bottom of engine. Motor running great. No blue smoke lots of power. I check the oil before each star up & it is alway at bottom line on dipstick. Is this because oil is draining into cooler lines? Or is engine using alot of oil? Is this normal for break in period. Motor was pricey so I don't want to hurt it. Any help or ideas would be great.
Thanks, Tom confused24.gif
jcambo7
QUOTE(TomR @ May 9 2011, 09:49 PM) *

Hi I'm the proud owner of a '73 914.Just had engine rebuilt. Now it's a 2.4L 4. Has big bore kit & many racing part. Makes about 150bhp & 170 ft. lbs. of torque. I had external oil cooler installed just in front of engine behind drivers seat. It' close to bottom of engine. Motor running great. No blue smoke lots of power. I check the oil before each star up & it is alway at bottom line on dipstick. Is this because oil is draining into cooler lines? Or is engine using alot of oil? Is this normal for break in period. Motor was pricey so I don't want to hurt it. Any help or ideas would be great.
Thanks, Tom confused24.gif

I also have an external oil tank in my rear trunk. I know that when I check my oil I have to have the engine running. I usually wait to check it until after the engine is warm also. I usually run it at 12 qts and the tank is at half full while running. Most of your oil when then engine isn't running is going to be in your oil lines, filter, engine and at the bottom of the oil pan check the oil while the engine is running. ask the person who built it also how much oil should be used for the engine especially since the displacement is different.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.