Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SBC v8 mated to 901 trans
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
aircooledboy
After suggestions here, I decided my clutch issues probably are a pilot bearing failure. Slits made a comment which lead me to think I might be able to source a new bearing from a local parts house. Given Renegade's pricey $75 for one from them, I'd like to get one locally but everything I find is much smaller in o.d. than what I took out confused24.gif (meant for the smaller recess deeper in the crank end?). Is the pilot bearing a custom part or an I just missing something?

Cheap bastard as always, I appreciate the help. beerchug.gif
Bruce Hinds
I think it's just a bus unit.... it's been a long time, but check it out.
BIGKAT_83
Its a custom part. Get it from Kennedy engineering for $35 or so. Thats more than likely where Rennegade gets them from.
If you have the transaxle out you could remove the bearing and bearing adapter from the crankshaft and get a number from the bearing. Any bearing supply place will be able to get just the bearing for you.

Bob
aircooledboy
Thanks Bob. beerchug.gif

So that big outer piece IS an adapter. I was wondering about that. When pulled the bearing, the inner part came out first, which got me thinking. idea.gif Unfortunately there is no number on it, but now that I know the deal I will try to just get one from a bearing supply locally. I'll update for future reference if I succeed.
sean_v8_914
my v8 has a stock 914 - 4 pilot bearing pressed into an adapter
charliew
Probably just what Sean said orrr you could take the old bearing to the bearing place and let them measure the OD and you measure the tranny pilot Od for the bearing ID and then the thickness of the bearing and you will have the dimensions you need. The new bearing needs to be really snug in the adapter.
aircooledboy
Ya know Sean, for my own amusement I think at some point I'll get a stock bearing to see if it can be pressed into the adaptor I have. It could well be what was in there before the puller tore the hell out of it. blink.gif

But on the other hand, no matter how cheap I am, the weather has finally broken here, and I'd really like be driving her soon. With my free time being super limited these days, I don't really have time to chase my tail over this, so I called KEP. Sure enough, a completely reasonable $27.50 for bearing in new adaptor ring. Shipped today, should arrive fri or sat at the latest.

For $75, I will drive all over hell looking for a bearing. w00t.gif For $27, I'm giving up the credit card number. monkeydance.gif
beerchug.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.