Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: need tips on early backpad upholstery replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seez52
I've read several threads on recovering the backpad, but they have all been on the later versions. I've ordered a replacement vinyl to go on my '70 model and thought I'd ask for comments before I dive in.

The drivers side looks pretty easy, it's basically like the later version. The passenger side is a bit more difficult.

I have removed all the staples and pulled off the old covering. There are sheets of material that slip down between some of the foam. Is this material secured in some way below the foam? Is the foam removed from the backer and stuffed into the new vinyl before stretching it over the back board?

I'm working on repairing a couple of cracks in the back board now. Have fiberglassed the hooks down better as they were pretty loose.

Don't know if I'll ever be able to get the new back on as nice as the old was.
Mikey914
QUOTE(seez52 @ May 10 2011, 07:05 AM) *

I've read several threads on recovering the backpad, but they have all been on the later versions. I've ordered a replacement vinyl to go on my '70 model and thought I'd ask for comments before I dive in.

The drivers side looks pretty easy, it's basically like the later version. The passenger side is a bit more difficult.

I have removed all the staples and pulled off the old covering. There are sheets of material that slip down between some of the foam. Is this material secured in some way below the foam? Is the foam removed from the backer and stuffed into the new vinyl before stretching it over the back board?

I'm working on repairing a couple of cracks in the back board now. Have fiberglassed the hooks down better as they were pretty loose.

Don't know if I'll ever be able to get the new back on as nice as the old was.

I'd personally take it to an upholstry shop. It's a little more complicated than just putting it over a flat panel and it will be used as part of the seat, so you want it to stay together.
But that's just my .02.
Tom_T
agree.gif .... unless you're an upholstery pro, these backpads & seats are not east to get right, door panels & center cushions are more doable.

BTW - Morph/914a&p in the member vendors section sells a FG replacement backpad backer board if yours is too far gone (also for the door panels), or gets to bulky &/or heavy with the resin you've added over the OE masonite board.
seez52
I finished getting the cracks repaired and it seems much more stable in those areas.

And I just finished covering the passenger side seat bolster. It wasn't too bad to do. The cushions and back rests are good. As matter of fact the back rest in the passenger is original and doesn't really show any wear.

Looks like I may need to add some foam around the head rest. It's pretty compressed over time and does not seem to fill the new material well.

While an upholstery shop would do an excellent job I'm sure, I'm one of those hard headed kind that likes to screw things up on their own. The guy at Auto Atlanta offered to do it in their shop. Not sure what the charge is, but I'll probably just see how I get along before doing something like that.

Still curious as to whether the foam should be taken complete off, stuffed then put back or what.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.