Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Track car spoiler help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > The Paddock
sixaddict
Have hot rod track car GT replica.....Installed front air dam (AAs Ultimate Air Dam...modified for flares) Trying to develop some downforce for high speed turns ...
A: Will it work
B. Do I need real lip spoiler for balance
Seemed to get differing "opinions"

Anybody have real life results?
Thanks
Terry
carr914
Do you have a rear spoiler? Front & Rear need to work together.

The rear of our cars tend to get light at speed. When you say High Speed Turns, how fast do you mean?

T.C.
J P Stein
IMO, a spoler is not as effective as a well designed wing.....but a hell of a lot cheaper.
In SCCA Autocross, most classes are limited to a 10 inch high spoiler and everybody runs the max height....but the top speeds are limited to 75ish mph.
My old AX car had a max height spoiler but there is no windshield or rear window.....better air flow to the spoiler.

Dunno if I'd go that high for a track car unless I had HP to burn (and a windshield & all)....but it is easier to cut one down than raise the height.

May not be pretty enough for a track car.
sixaddict
TC;
You kind of answered the question ...front and rear work together ......
At home track CMP "kink" is 110 plus..... Also planning for Road Atlanta in June.
I have a rear "lip" spoiler to install....just hadn't decided to "drill" as yet.
A big M3 came in with splitter and wing and was able to blow through there "flat out " according to driver.......Not sure my cajonies are sufficient for that or that it is totally accurate but ....... !
Terry

QUOTE(carr914 @ May 10 2011, 07:27 AM) *

Do you have a rear spoiler? Front & Rear need to work together.

The rear of our cars tend to get light at speed. When you say High Speed Turns, how fast do you mean?

T.C.

ChrisFoley
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 10 2011, 11:44 AM) *

IMO, a spoiler is not as effective as a well designed wing

agree.gif
A well designed wing will have less drag and be easier to tune than a spoiler.

That airdam will definitely increase high speed grip at the front end, so something that adds downforce (or at least eliminates lift) at the back is advisable. The more HP you have, the more downforce at the rear wheels you can use.

I don't think you'll be going as fast in any of the turns at Road Atlanta as the kink at CMP, although a bit of downforce will make you feel more comfortable at both ends of the front straight.
sixaddict
Anybody with "well designed" wing drawings or pics would be appreciated. I am in that black hole of mods to go faster ! Front spoiler now means brake ducts and on and on and on .......Trying to do it without trashing the car.
Thanks for the feedback

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 10 2011, 01:53 PM) *

agree.gif

That airdam will definitely increase high speed grip at the front end, so something that adds downforce (or at least eliminates lift) at the back is advisable. The more HP you have, the more downforce at the rear wheels you can use.

I don't think you'll be going as fast in any of the turns at Road Atlanta as the kink at CMP, although a bit of downforce will make you feel more comfortable at both ends of the front straight.

campbellcj
My car with front-dam only gets pretty light and bouncy in the rear at 120+ speeds. I spoke with Roger Sheridan at the track recently, and he suggested a 6-inch "flap" spoiler for my car, so I'm planning to start there. He makes gorgeous fiberglass stuff. I can't run a leading-edge wing without taking a hit under POC rules.
URY914
Not a road race wing but you get the idea...

Click to view attachment
Randal
QUOTE(URY914 @ May 11 2011, 03:56 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Man, that heavy old wing must have added at least 10lbs to your car. smile.gif
URY914
8 pounds. I made it with carbon fiber.
sixaddict
Now I LOL....Subtle too!

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 11 2011, 02:56 AM) *

Click to view attachment

sixaddict
This looks like World of Outlaws 914s....Really wild !

QUOTE(Randal @ May 11 2011, 07:34 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ May 11 2011, 03:56 AM) *

Click to view attachment

Man, that heavy old wing must have added at least 10lbs to your car. smile.gif

race914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 10 2011, 10:27 PM) *

My car with front-dam only gets pretty light and bouncy in the rear at 120+ speeds. I spoke with Roger Sheridan at the track recently, and he suggested a 6-inch "flap" spoiler for my car, so I'm planning to start there. He makes gorgeous fiberglass stuff. I can't run a leading-edge wing without taking a hit under POC rules.

Do you need a pic of the Sheridan 6 inch spoiler installed?

If so I can go take one & post it. Let me know.
campbellcj
QUOTE(race914 @ May 12 2011, 08:32 AM) *

A pic would be of interest but not crucial - more importantly (I assume you're using one), did you see a worthwhile benefit from it?

FWIW the front spoiler I usually use, as seen in my avatar, is also Roger's and he was aware of that when suggesting the 6" rear to go with it.
race914
QUOTE(campbellcj @ May 12 2011, 09:07 AM) *

QUOTE(race914 @ May 12 2011, 08:32 AM) *

A pic would be of interest but not crucial - more importantly (I assume you're using one), did you see a worthwhile benefit from it?

FWIW the front spoiler I usually use, as seen in my avatar, is also Roger's and he was aware of that when suggesting the 6" rear to go with it.

agree.gif with all above that you need to balance front/rear down force.

The sheridan flip spoiler does add rear downforce. Along with it, I use this front airdam with a splitter.

Click to view attachment

I recommend the Sheridan rear spoiler.

Heater Guy
QUOTE(sixaddict @ May 10 2011, 06:13 PM) *

Anybody with "well designed" wing drawings or pics would be appreciated. I am in that black hole of mods to go faster ! Front spoiler now means brake ducts and on and on and on .......Trying to do it without trashing the car.
Thanks for the feedback

QUOTE(Racer Chris @ May 10 2011, 01:53 PM) *

agree.gif

I installed a G-stream wing http://www.g-stream.com because I could build my own mounts and install the wing where I wanted it. Most other wings have pre- determined attachment points and must be attached at those points. It has a built in wicker, is very light and a very strong. It also has a very good down force to drag factor. The adjusters make it easy to adjust and fine tune. This wing has is made by Paul Brown (Tiger Racing) that does a lot of race prep for World Challenge Mustangs. Click to view attachment
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.