Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: new wiring to relay board
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dlestep
...after cleaning all of the contact and re-podding the relay board, I am populating the two new main connectors.
I am now wrestling with the connections from the Motorola alternator wiring. I have connected everything to the
back of the alternator, through a grommeted hole in the Sharpbuilt fiberglass 911 style shroud with the wiring
terminated to a buss bar.
I have cut to size, stripped and tinned the leads in preparation to solder the ends of the push-on terminators.
I am running with the 2.0 liter four cylinder.
The question is, do I wire it identical to the 4's wiring, or do I follow the wiring diagram of the 6 to accomplish this?
I have the relay from the 6.
Any and all input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, in advance.
IronHillRestorations
If it's an externally regulated alternator, the connections are the same, but the wire colors are different for the 914-4 and 6, than the 911.
dlestep
...I noticed that also. I used the 911 wiring color scheme from the alternator to the buss bar, but changed the wiring color to the 4 from the buss bar to the relay board connections. I am using the 911 relay at the board. Then all is well, if connected the same way?
IronHillRestorations
I don't exactly understand Dave. You are using a 911 voltage regulator?

The DF, D+ and D- are the same but like I said different wire colors.

You can either make a separate three wire harness for the VR, or incorporate it into the harness and just make the VR leads 3" longer than the 12 pin connector and it will plug right into the VR plug on the board.
dlestep
I am using the ring, fan, alternator, and external relay from a '72 911. I was wanting to wire it through the connector on the board. The physical size and shape of the relay is identical to the 4's.
The relay board on the '72 911 was similar to the 914's, but smaller. The 911's relay was positioned and held on the side using screws same as the 4's relay board.
I was attempting to wire it through the connector, not direct.
I apologize for the confusion.
IronHillRestorations
The 914-6's don't wire the voltage regulator circuit through the 12 pin connector.

The 914-6 engine harness had the three wires to the voltage regulator with the wire bundle but they extended an extra 3" and used the same 3 pin plug as the 914-4 voltage regulator harness and plug into the same socket.

Like the exceptional reproduction harness in the pic. laugh.gif

Click to view attachment
dlestep
...no wonder I was confusing.
I kept relating to the 12 pin connector and not the 3-pin, connector, which was in a small plastic bucket on a shelf, on the other side of the garage.
It even had the wiring still attached !
Thank you very much for straightening that out for me.
I knew something wasn't correct, I just couldn't put it to mind.
...your relay harness is dressed very cleanly. I too, have been terminating the ends of my leads with heat shrink. Besides, presentation, heat shrink adds strength to free state, unsupported wiring.
...thanks again for your excellent input...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.