Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fuel Pump quit working
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
BCinSC
Went to start teener yesterday afternoon having driven it in the morning. Heard pump power up, but after initial cranking, it stopped. Hasn't made any noise since. Plenty of juice to rest of car. Checked connections and fuses. Uncertain where wires come from to connect to it - the FI brain? Is there anything that would shutdown pump? Thanks.
TROJANMAN
i see we have familiar tastes in cars (see avatar)

had my fuel pump go out last year. expensive part new, but i had the mechanic fix it. then it ran great all the way home until..............i dropped a valve seat. haven't seen the car since. but the mechanic called the other day asking for $$$$$$$$. anyway that was more than you needed to know. good luck. like your cars beer.gif

and i am a big SC fan. the trojan kind

i am going to go off topic here for a second: but, have you found a way to boost hp in your mb? i just got mine, and was wondering.
bondo
I got my 914 cheap because the fuel pump quit and the previous owner gave up on it.. I wiggled some relays and stuff on the relay board and it's worked ever since (1.5 years)

--Royce
BCinSC
I have an aftermarket pump from MSD that I got from Summit Racing. Has worked great for about 15 months, though having mounted on firewall, is noisy as hell in passenger compartment. Someday I'll rectify that.

Pretty happy with stock 192HP in Benz, though sorely regret not getting 6speed manual.
TROJANMAN
[ biggrin.gif
mike_the_man
It could be the fuel pump relay. It's in the relay board on the driver's side in the engine compartment. I can't remember off hand which relay it is, but if you pull it out, you can jump two of the connections (once again, I can't remember which ones) and it will run the fuel pump. You can also try swapping the relay with one of the others.

I believe that the fuel pump is controlled by the FI brain. I think it cuts it out if the car is idling at less than 100 rpm, or something.

If you haven't checked this web page, then do so, it's full of great info.

Good website
BCinSC
Others have suggested relay as well. Do they pop out easily? In retrospect, I did activate the heater fan yesterday morning and had washed car with pressure washer. Wonder if water got into places and fan shorted whole shebang out?
BCinSC
Ah, yes. Pump/heater fuse is blown and holder is somewhat melted. That would be bad. Not to mention I don't have a spare 25A fuse. Sux to be me.

However, I did learn about voltage regulator and it's likely demise being cause of my battery's short life.
ein 6er
bruce,

i'm no expert but .......

it's possible the relay got wet, if you don't have a cover on the relay board. they come out easy, you just need to wiggle it. you can swap it with a known good relay. if the heater fan works, swap it with that one. as said you can jump the terminals, but i forget which ones. someone will tell you i'm sure. do you have a haynes manuel?

it's possible the relay pins are corroded, try cleaning them with contact cleaner. use a straight edge razor blade to gently spread the prongs on the relay to help with contact.

you should always carry a new spare relay!!! cool_shades.gif

good luck!!
TheCabinetmaker
When you say "had the car pressure washed", do you mean the engine compartment? If so, bad, bad, bad. Too much water, too much pressure
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.