Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone ever repaired a stock 3 port fuel pump?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LCOX
I've got a fuel injection 3 port fuel pump that doesn't run. Anyone here ever taken a non working pump apart and repaired one? Will it leak as well if dissassembled? Thanx L
swl
taking it apart is no big deal but repairing is challenging because it is hard to get the rubber parts required. What is your pump doing? Other than the obvious 'not working'.
Drums66
......It can be done?(gasket is challenging) idea.gif popcorn[1].gif
bye1.gif
swl
yes the two O rings are the challenge. They expand like crazy. You have to remove all the gas from them immediately and even then it may take days or week for them to return to the normal size. My neighbor did mine in an autoclave. He says you can probably do the same thing in a microwave but ...

The question is what are you going to do when you get it apart? Click to view attachment
McMark
I've seen two points of failure:

1. Grit in the pumping mechanism (the five little dowels).
2. A gummed up electric motor.

I've fixed both types. Getting new rubber rings is the best option, but in a pinch you can carefully apply a fuel-safe sealant. You have to be careful not to get sealant in the mechanism. wink.gif
swl
I'll add to that list a sticky pop off. The lttle rubber tit sticks to the seat and the pump dumps fuel out the return line instead of the delivery line.

There was someone a year or two back that fixed the source of the 'whack it with a hammer to make it work' syndrome. He cleaned out the slide where the brushes run. I've never taken the pump down to that level.

Mark is there a source for new rubber rings?
McMark
I would look at McMaster-Carr, but I'm not sure which rubbers are fuel safe. Viton probably is. I also don't have any seals to measure.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.