Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I need help..building engine wiring harness
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Krieger
This is for my 3.0 6 conversion. I'm going to eliminate the relay board. I'd like some type of plug that I can splice into my 72s harness and be able to disconnect when I pull the engine. It would be nice if this plug had at least 12 connections and a few feet of wire. Any ideas?
ConeDodger
Andy,
Mark Debernardi is building a harness for my new engine right now. He has spent many an evening apparently perusing an electronics catalog and he knows his 'harness craft' now... Give him a call and tell him what you need.
Cap'n Krusty
Might wanna Google something like "weatherproof electrical connectors" and see what comes up. There are thousands of choices and designs. Personally, I'd use the existing board and wire the engine harness to fit.

The Cap'n
McMark
There is a 12pin connector in the AMPSEAL 16 product line. There are some details here.
Krieger
Cool, Thanks. Whats the price range for this? I was thinking of wandering pick n pull with some dykes or calling Granger. I considered using the stock board, but it seemed like more work. I am relocating the fuel pump to the front trunk. I don't think anything left needs the fuses or relays....right? The engine is carbed and will sport an MSD ignition. I am in the early stages of figuring this out so anything is possible
McMark
Mouser.com has them for something under $5 for each half. Don't forget to order the connector inserts.
JeffBowlsby
Patirck Motor Sports and Perry Keihl already build these adapter harnesses which plug into the 14-pin connector. By eliminating the relay board you still need to provide a main power relay and fuse as well as the other relays on the board. Its a solution without a problem.

QUOTE(Krieger @ May 10 2011, 04:08 PM) *

This is for my 3.0 6 conversion. I'm going to eliminate the relay board. I'd like some type of plug that I can splice into my 72s harness and be able to disconnect when I pull the engine. It would be nice if this plug had at least 12 connections and a few feet of wire. Any ideas?

Krieger
Very nice! Thanks Mark biggrin.gif
Krieger
Jeff. I don't have an engine harness to use. This "chassis jumper harness looks like an "adapter" that goes between an engine harness and the factory body harness. So I need to have a relay and fuse for the main power, but the other relays on the board I don't think I'll need: defogger, fan, fuel pump. The fuses look like they are for defogger, heater fan and fuel pump...according to the haynes book
bfrymire
Weather proof connectors:

http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml

I didn't see a 12 position, but there was 6 position. Two of them, actually might be better.

-- brett
bfrymire
QUOTE(bfrymire @ May 10 2011, 07:10 PM) *

Weather proof connectors:

http://www.whiteproducts.com/connectors.shtml

I didn't see a 12 position, but there was 6 position. Two of them, actually might be better.

-- brett

The six position from Summitracing:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/AAF-ALL76270/

wingnut86
Guys,

I saw this in action in 1985, last century.

A coworker re-wired VW Bugs and my 66 Karman Ghia with a cannon plug style connector setup so he could pull and swap engines as needed.

Hmmm, for some reason I believe he had access to mil-spec components as we both were stationed at a US Air Force base:-)

He had a V-Dub, his wife had an air cooled model as well, and he built/repaired these on the side...

It can be done as long as you bear in mind that it has to be weather proof or you clean the contacts regularly because of the contact current draw, etc.

Good luck,

---Wingnut86

shades.gif

Mike Bellis
You could go with this and rewire the rear compleatly...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
nathansnathan
QUOTE(wingnut86 @ May 10 2011, 07:24 PM) *

Guys,

I saw this in action in 1985, last century.

A coworker re-wired VW Bugs and my 66 Karman Ghia with a cannon plug style connector setup so he could pull and swap engines as needed.

Hmmm, for some reason I believe he had access to mil-spec components as we both were stationed at a US Air Force base:-)

He had a V-Dub, his wife had an air cooled model as well, and he built/repaired these on the side...

It can be done as long as you bear in mind that it has to be weather proof or you clean the contacts regularly because of the contact current draw, etc.

Good luck,

---Wingnut86

shades.gif

That's what I was thinking, too, an Amphenol/Bendix/Cannon military spec connector would rock. They are insanely expensive new, but you can get them on ebay for a bargain sometimes.

Here's a 14 pin one that has tension relieving wire lock downs:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Cannon-Amphenol-Type-C...6#ht_500wt_1156

Jeffs9146
Patirck Motor Sports and Perry Keihl already build these adapter harnesses which plug into the 14-pin connector.

If they are available for the 3.0L with FI I would be interested!! I know it is just two wires that need to be jumped but I would like to find the Plug and play version!

I contacted all of the "venders" and none make one for the 3.0L FI!
wingnut86
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 10 2011, 10:47 PM) *

Patirck Motor Sports and Perry Keihl already build these adapter harnesses which plug into the 14-pin connector.

If they are available for the 3.0L with FI I would be interested!! I know it is just two wires that need to be jumped but I would like to find the Plug and play version!

I contacted all of the "venders" and none make one for the 3.0L FI!

Hmmm, maybe associate yourself with someone who repairs old B-52 bombers.

...damn cannon plugs won't die!
McMark
I loathe weatherpack connectors. happy11.gif
underthetire
Some of the best, but not a 5 dollar connector. Tough and waterproof.
http://www.harting-connectivity-networks.d...ckverbinder-han
bfrymire
QUOTE(McMark @ May 10 2011, 08:10 PM) *

I loathe weatherpack connectors. happy11.gif

ok. I have to ask.. Why?

I really want to know, as I have quite a few on my 914-6 as I am converting it to EFI.

-- brett
McMark
For crazy-Mark reasons. They are HUGE and kludgy looking. They are an ugly connector in every sense. The AMPSEAL 16 connectors are just as weatherproof (if not more since they claim submersible) and they pack more connections into a smaller housing.

I'm just the kind of person who'd rather spend time and money getting stuff that works well and looks good, whenever possible. WeatherPack works, but FAIL in the looks department, mostly because they are a single row connector.

Six pin connector comparison:

IPB Image IPB Image
bfrymire
QUOTE(McMark @ May 11 2011, 10:16 AM) *

For crazy-Mark reasons. They are HUGE and kludgy looking. They are an ugly connector in every sense. The AMPSEAL 16 connectors are just as weatherproof (if not more since they claim submersible) and they pack more connections into a smaller housing.

I'm just the kind of person who'd rather spend time and money getting stuff that works well and looks good, whenever possible. WeatherPack works, but FAIL in the looks department, mostly because they are a single row connector.

Six pin connector comparison:

IPB Image IPB Image

Got it. And I can understand. My EFI is just using 2 or 3 position, as, I really never noticed it.

The ampseal is a much more compact design.

-- brett
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.