Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Alternator wiring replacement
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/9...alt_replace.htm

I just read Daves article on the PP site. My alt seems to be charging fine, but I would like to replace the harness with on of Jeff's. Im trying to resolve my electrical issue. The other harness's will also be tested. Any hoot, what is the minimum I need to do in order to be able to remove the wire? Just the bottom tin? Looks like a real PIA judging from the article.

Thanks
dmenche914
I think it would be easiest to remove the alternator, then work on the wires. Be sure to disconnect battery before starting, and remove alternator. The wire on the alternator side goes thru a rubber gromment on backcover of the alternator, this cover needs to be unscrewed, and that is best done with alternator out of the car. Under the cover the wires are connected with a plug, and one with a nut and lug. You can pull the wires thru the engine tin when you remove the alternator.

What i added to mine was some stainless mesh, around the wire harness for the portion under the tin to the alternator back cover. This will I think act as a heat shield, where the wires are close to the head Hopefully they will last longer.

You can rebuold the alternator harness with new wires. Youe will need to carefully reomve the plugs on either end(you need do do this anyway to pass the wire harness thru the rubber gromments anyway) to remove the pluges, use a jewlers screw driver to depress the tang on the press ons that retain the press ons in the plugs. New wire can be reinstalled on the old press ons (unlesss you can find press on with the retaining lug) I'd solder the new wire to the lugs.

good luck dave
tat2dphreak
you have to pull the alt... trust me. I was having the "shorting" problem with my new altenator, you can't even get the rear cover off with the alt in the car...
tod914
Ok, thanks guys. Was hoping to avoid that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.