Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Are SS Heat Exchangers worth it?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thomasotten
I was just wondering, if people think it is worth the extra money it to buy Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers. Do they continue to look good over time? What about mufflers? Do the Bursch mufflers stay nice looking? I remember the paint burned off my Monza style exhaust pretty quickly.
seanery
The SSIs look nice, they are stainless, so no rusting. Bursch's paint tends to burn off from what I have read here. My triad still looks pretty good, but I think a little Jet Hot is good.
JmuRiz
I always thought my Triad muffler would look good in a Jet Hot Sterling finish. Then polish up my stainless heat exchangers and have some shine to match the chrome bumpers ;-)

The stainless heat exchangers are the way to go...if you want heat. Nothing like having some rust on the stock ones and end up seeing double when the exhaust gasses seap into the cabin, haha. BTW the Bursch mufflers do burn their paint off fast...but nothing a little high temp paint from POR or eastwood can't fix.
Jake Raby
I have a set of 2.0s that I'll sell.... They were used for 3 months, then I installed a Tangerine and 100 extra HP.

Mine look as good as they did when they were new.
IronHillRestorations
The factory heat exchangers have a much better exhaust flange then the stainless counterparts. You'll never find a factory heat exchanger with a broken mounting tab. With the factory h/e's the surface that seals against the copper gasket is about twice as thick as any of the stainless ones. The stainless ones have the round pipe crushed oval and then dressed flat, the sealing surface is only as thick as the tubing.

Yes the stainless h/e's won't rust out. The exhaust pipes on all Porsche heat exchangers, since around 1965, is also stainless. A low grade of stainless that is. The actual heater boxes though are mild steel. The exhaust tubes last a very long time. FYI, in Europe they sell new heater boxes to "re-shell" heat exchangers.

My personal preference is to get a cherry set of factory h/e's and have them Jet-Hot coated. It's probably not the cheapest way to go though.

PK cool.gif
dmenche914
the stainless exchangers are also considerably lighter than the stock ones.
SirAndy
QUOTE(thomasotten @ May 27 2004, 08:17 PM)
Do they continue to look good over time? What about mufflers?

yupp. and guess what, they don't rust like your monza either! rolleyes.gif

they clean up very nice, every time.
plus, they heat up faster and produce more heat.
oh, and no more exhaust gases in the cabin either.

Andy
MattR
Jake, how much were you going to let those HEs go for?

BTW: I just watched your video for the first time. Thanks again!
Jake Raby
These babies are like new... 200 bucks. They just had 3 months of run time on them.
MarkV
QUOTE(Jake Raby @ May 27 2004, 09:04 PM)
These babies are like new... 200 bucks. They just had 3 months of run time on them.

Jake,

If Matt doesn't want them, I will give you $200 for them.
Brad Roberts
Over 40,000 pairs of 914 SSI's sold from 1977 to 2003. They cant be all that bad. Only the first 1000 or so pairs had steel muffler flanges. Everything after that had stainless.

The tabs break off because DUMBASS installers try and use TWO exhaust gaskets in the heads and overtighten them when performing the install. Seen it many a time.

B
anthony
if people think it is worth the extra money it to buy Stainless Steel Heat Exchangers

IMO, it's not worth it if your stock HEs are in good condition.

Do they continue to look good over time?

It depends on how much your engine leaks. biggrin.gif Stainless HEs can still get baked on oil all over them. I've seen sets so dirty that you wouldn't even know they were stainless until you cleaned them.
JmuRiz
you wouldn't even know they were stainless until you cleaned them

I guess at that point it's time to get out the brillo/SOS pads and start cleaning, hehe. Speaking of which, I need to do that to mine...road grime and track time. Great another project on the to-do list cool.gif
914werke
FYI, in Europe they sell new heater boxes to "re-shell" heat exchangers.

Really? thats interesting but at what price.. unless the re-shells are (really)cheap the SSI product seems a better solution unsure.gif .
MattR
QUOTE(MarkV @ May 27 2004, 11:17 PM)

If Matt doesn't want them, I will give you $200 for them.

Go for it. I have to tighten my budget anyways... i figure a mallory is more important then heat exchangers.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.