Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 911 space saver tire...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
neo914-6
Fixed my lighter so I can power my air pump to fill up my spare. Tire leaks all around the rim. Local tire store says these folding tires are not available. Anyone know where to get new or a good used one?
Elliot_Cannon
I picked mine up for $20 at the swat meet in Ventura last year. I would try any Porsche salvage yard.
Cheers, Elliot
skline
I think I am going to be needing one of them too, so if you find a place that has them, let me know as well. Parts Heaven may have some, I will check them while I am up next weekend.
Andyrew
For the cost of a new tire, just get a new space saver spare. I think parts heaven had them at not a bad price.

If your going to the WCC Parts Heaven swapmeet, you could probably find a nice one there (if I dont snag it first) wink.gif
Jenny
This is just like everyone prematurely bidding on ebay. Now there's going to be ~70 914 owners dogpiling on the first space saver spare they see at Parts Heaven next weekend. I suppose I could use one too. I'll see you guys there... cool_shades.gif

Jen
neo914-6
This is just like everyone prematurely bidding on ebay

I can see alot of ph34r.gif . Now the chances of me getting a good one are worse than nil! ohmy.gif

Actually I think I got it at a Parts Heaven swap meet 7+ years ago. Suggest you all bring air pumps... and don't leave the tire outside to dry out in the sun next to a rusting 914. In this case, time doesn't heal...
Brad Roberts
No bidding issues at our shop. We have stacks and stacks of them.

B
seanery
these things used to be like a dime a dozen then I think it was Gary Emory's totally outlaw 356 that used these as the basis for his wheels. Well, for a while the price was stupid high because people wanted to do what he did. I think places were getting between 150 and 200 bucks for them. Prices seem to have gone down recently, which is good.
Bleyseng
Gary uses the alloy spacesavers not the steel rim ones. Around here they go for $50-75 at the swapmeets. I bought a "nearly new" one that way.

Geoff biggrin.gif
jim912928
Brad...how much? I'm doing my 5-lug conversion this weekend and the old spare tire has to go!
neo914-6
alloy spacesavers not the steel rim ones. Around here they go for $50-75

Brad,
Do you have these and how much? Should this be WTB in classifieds?
Felix
Scott S
I used an old 356/912 wheel I had laying around and had a modern space saver put on it. I think the tire cost 30.00 including mounting it. I have had to use it and it worked like a champ. I had to go small so that I could mount the spare upright against the front trunk gas tank firewall due to the oil cooler shroud.
914werke
silly Question but was ther ever a such a setup for the 4 lug-gers?
AZ914
Rich,

I think I have seen 4-lug space savers out on the BAY. I believe they were for the 924...
Hi_Fi_Guy
I hear Boxster spares work well for 5-lug cars. Pre-inflated but still smallish plus anice tool-kit in the center.
914werke
I also once saw a steel gas can that was supposed to be available OE from MB. The trick feature was it was circular and designed to fir INSIDE of a 15" spare. Im sure I saw it offered in a Gorits catalog yrs ago but not currently.

Anyone seen one of these or know where to get one? cool.gif
94teener
I had a Porsche space saver spare that I bought for my old yellow 71. Had to use it one time. It's heavy as lead and drives as if you have a baloon instead of a tire. I got rid of the thing.

When it's necessary on the highway to change a tire, there's nothing like installing a real road wheel and hauling down the highway at 80mph. None of this pussy-footing it at 60 mph to get home or to a service station.

Phil

Ole Yaller, wish I hadn't got rid of her, she was a fine hauler.
Eric_Shea

I was gonna say... there might be one or two at HPH laugh.gif

Brad, throw one in my tub!
Andyrew

I keep forgeting about you guys!

How much for one?

Andrew

ps, Brad, your doin great, hang in there, just another week of craming and you can relax a little. smile.gif
Andyrew
Im now wondering if you can install a space saver tire on any rim. Im thinking installing one on a 15' 6 Gas burner would be a very nice thing...

Hmm...

Anyone ever do that?
Elliot_Cannon
I asked guy at a tire shop once if a collapsable tire could be intalled on a any rim and he said ... nope.
Cheers, Elliot
neo914-6
asked guy at a tire shop once if a collapsable tire could be intalled on a any rim and he said ... nope

Did he say why? The tire shop I went to said he could put a full size tire on my space saver rim. I said what's the point. It does have two air valves on the space saver. The guy said they were so you can deflate it faster but I don't fully buy that.
Felix
rezron
I've got a factory 914 four bolt space-saver that
came with the car when new. I don't think it's ever
been on the ground- looks like new. It's not the
collapsing style- it's one of the smaller doughnut
types. I'll probably be selling it since I'm going
5 bolt.

rezron
mistro
I'll buy it. when you don't need it
Mark Henry
QUOTE(rdauenhauer @ May 28 2004, 11:49 AM)
I also once saw a steel gas can that was supposed to be available OE from MB. The trick feature was it was circular and designed to fir INSIDE of a 15" spare. Im sure I saw it offered in a Gorits catalog yrs ago but not currently.

Anyone seen one of these or know where to get one? cool.gif

Like this cool_shades.gif

No idea where you can get one, I was told it was an option on a BMW, or was it MB, can't remember.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.