Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Shifting Issue
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kkid
Hey guys,

I have owned my 914 for about just 3 years. The car is stock and runs just fine, well much healthier than when I bought it. However, I never liked the shift feeling. It has slop regardless where the gear position is. I have replaced all worn and old parts in the shifting. Here is a list of what I've changed to new.
1. Cone set screws
2. Bushing - fire wall
3. Bushings - crown shaped @ console
4. Bushings - Shift coupler
5. Bushing - Ball socket @ shift console
6. Seal and O-ring - Shift arm at console
7. Reverse Lockout Plate
8. New tranny oil 80w-90

I have added a shim at the crown bushing since there is a little gap. I did not change the shifter because it did not look worn. Funny is, with the new Lockout plate, the shifter can go to reverse from 1st with no mechanical resistance when the engine is off. confused24.gif Is this normal?

After replacing above parts, slop in my hand had reduced well maybe 20% but it is still soppy even it's in the gear. So is the tranny due for rebuilt or am I missing something still?

Thanks,

kkid smile.gif

PeeGreen 914
I have heard people call the stock shifter a stir stick in a paint bucket. I don't believe the stock shifter will ever go without that slop.

That's why JWest is our friend smile.gif
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/
kkid
QUOTE(PeeGreen 914 @ May 11 2011, 11:44 AM) *

I have heard people call the stock shifter a stir stick in a paint bucket. I don't believe the stock shifter will ever go without that slop.

That's why JWest is our friend smile.gif
http://www.jwesteng.com/porsche/914/

Oh yeah, the paint in my bucket is somewhat stirthepot.gif.
I wish I had the jwest.
But ... I wanted to take it as a last resort.

Who has the best stock shifter in our area? I once test drove one of our mentor's teener and his shifter was way more precise and I think it was a stock setup.

kkid smile.gif

underthetire
I remember someone wrote the same thing a while ago. Seems like he actually pulled the shifter dog out of the trans and welded it up for a tighter fit. Looked do-able.
sww914
I have one here that shifts well. New tranny, all new bushings, and a low mile car. It still won't ever shift like a Honda.
Spoke
When I first asked someone what shift pattern the 914 had, he replied: Vague
kkid
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 11 2011, 04:21 PM) *

I have one here that shifts well. New tranny, all new bushings, and a low mile car. It still won't ever shift like a Honda.

Forget about nsx but Not even like a civic? sad.gif
kkid
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 11 2011, 06:40 PM) *

When I first asked someone what shift pattern the 914 had, he replied: Vague

lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif

sounds like I should live with this character if it's made to be that way.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.