Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: '74 Paint Code Help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
thenovice914guy
Hello everyone, this is my first post, and the topic pretty much says it all. I have a black 914 from 1974 and I want to know if its original color was black without having to scrape any off but I cant seem to find the plate with the paint code on it. All the plates I have found are all in german and I cant read it. I guess to make a long explination short, where exactly is the panel with the paint code located so that I can figure out what color my car was when manufactured for a better restoration.

Gustl
you can find it at the driver's side A-pillar

it looks like this one, from my '74:

Click to view attachment

the lower line is the colour code

black would be: L04I

Gustl
this pic might show you the location better:

thenovice914guy
Thanks that was a great help! As it would happen she IS a natural black! With a little more research it turns out that the only natural black 914's were special orders, so I am VERY happy with this find. smilie_pokal.gif
Gustl
QUOTE(thenovice914guy @ May 11 2011, 09:15 PM) *

Hello everyone, this is my first post, ...

oooops ... I forgot something rolleyes.gif

welcome.png ... from far, far away biggrin.gif

TheCabinetmaker

Black was the base color for the LE's, as in bumblebee, which were only made in 74. They all fall in a certain vin range. What are the last 4 of your vin #? What kind of wheels are on the car?
thenovice914guy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 11 2011, 03:56 PM) *

Black was the base color for the LE's, as in bumblebee, which were only made in 74. They all fall in a certain vin range. What are the last 4 of your vin #? What kind of wheels are on the car?

The VIN is 4742908610. The wheels that are on it arnt the ones it came with I think tough, I beleave the last owner took the ones from mine and put them on a diffrent 914. Annoyingly enough I cant seem to upload pics but there the same kind of wheels as the one in this pic http://www.pwr-tech.com/preowned_car24.html
SirAndy
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 11 2011, 01:56 PM) *

Is too early to be a LE car, the LE range starts much later that year ... shades.gif

Oh, and: welcome.png
SirAndy
QUOTE(thenovice914guy @ May 11 2011, 02:06 PM) *
Annoyingly enough I cant seem to upload pics

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=13637

bye1.gif
thenovice914guy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2011, 04:08 PM) *

Is too early to be a LE car, the LE range starts much later that year ... shades.gif

Oh well, black by itself was still a special order color according to a restoration book I found. Thanks for all your help everyone!
Tom_T
QUOTE(thenovice914guy @ May 11 2011, 02:13 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 11 2011, 04:08 PM) *

Oh well, black by itself was still a special order color according to a restoration book I found. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Not special order per se - but rather one of the paints as an extra charge option, including all of the metallics - which were 3-stage paints (base-color-clear), & black was extra cost due to the difficulty in getting black to lay & look right (as compared to the other non-metallic colors, as the painters on here can attest to) - so same extra charge for it.

welcome.png
thenovice914guy
Either way thats pretty nice. I plan on restoring her to right off the line
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.