Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Anyone have experience with DRD Racing?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Woody
Does anyone have any experience with DRD Racing components? Is there stuff any good?

http://www.drdracingheads.com/catalog/prod...products_id=154

http://www.drdracingheads.com/catalog/prod...products_id=225
bobhasissues
I bought a pair of heads, I think L5 option with relocated plugs. I have not reassembled my engine yet so I don't know how they will run or hold up. The plug relocation work does not look pretty, he does not use plug hole inserts but probably should. Chambers look to be hand shaped, I have yet to cc them to verify consistency of chamber volume. Port work looks good but appears to be done by hand as well. I don' know what he actually does with a CNC. I have only seen photos of Len Hoffman's heads which appear to be considerably more detailed compared to DRD's and priced accordingly.
mgphoto
QUOTE(bobhasissues @ May 11 2011, 08:14 PM) *

I bought a pair of heads, I think L5 option with relocated plugs. I have not reassembled my engine yet so I don't know how they will run or hold up. The plug relocation work does not look pretty, he does not use plug hole inserts but probably should. Chambers look to be hand shaped, I have yet to cc them to verify consistency of chamber volume. Port work looks good but appears to be done by hand as well. I don' know what he actually does with a CNC. I have only seen photos of Len Hoffman's heads which appear to be considerably more detailed compared to DRD's and priced accordingly.

Any more info on the DRD racing heads???
tornik550
I do not have any experience with their heads however I have purchased a set of custom connecting rods from them and they are quite nice. I have spoken a few times to someone over there about head issues (not psychiatric issues). They have been very friendly and helpful. I am actually packaging up some parts to send to them as we speak.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(mgphoto @ Oct 4 2011, 08:11 PM) *

Any more info on the DRD racing heads???

Yes, I had a set of 2.0 heads done by Darren I just got them back in May. He took a while because he is a one man shop. The work I had done was well done, but it was just a standard rebuild. I like Darren as far as to speak with, he is very knowledgable. My experience was half&half with him. I asked lead time and he said two months and it turned into 4.5 other than that it was okay. Would I reccomend him, Sure! I wouldn't want a one time deal to hurt the guys rep. However, if you do go with him for shop work outside of just buying components be prepared to wait. He is a one guy shop. He was hard to reach by email as well. Call him during business hours.

I had a thread back around April/May where I couldn't get ahold of him and I thought he robbed my parts... you can look it up. I think I called it something like. "Anyone in Santa Ana? I need a favor" A nice fella helped me out and went and talked to Darren for me from the Forum... turned out Darren never got my emails or calls. confused24.gif

FWIW I hope this helps.

Thomas
SCV
This might help: DRD Feedback. That is, of course, if you haven't already read this info.

-S
jim_hoyland
I visited his shop back in April. A one man operation with plenty of work in progress. Seemed like a nice fellow.
tscrihfield
QUOTE(jim_hoyland @ Oct 4 2011, 09:23 PM) *

I visited his shop back in April. A one man operation with plenty of work in progress. Seemed like a nice fellow.

Yeah Didnt want to come out and say it was you just in case. Thanks again Jim!

And to Clarify, The work done was good! See below.

IPB Image
IPB Image
rick 918-S
The links in the first post are dead.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.