Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Will not go into gear - pls help
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EJP914
Had to sit in about 1 1/2 mi traffic backup on the way home from work. On and off the clutch. Finally had a warm day in PA.
After a while, I found I could not put the shift lever into any gear except 1st or reverse and had big grinding sounds when I did.
Put the car on ramps once home and found the plastic clutch cable guide wheel was distorted (from the heat?). It no longer turned straight and true. It moved in kind of a wobbly circle.
If this guide wheel is not straight and plumb, would that cause me to not be able to put the car into gear or should I be looking for something else and expensive?
Looks like I will have to replace the guide wheel regardless. Do I have to remove the clutch cable from the fork end or can I just remove the nut that holds on the guide wheel and slip the cable back over it. Is this wheel supposed to be periodically greased/oiled so it will move?
This is my 4th 914 and never had this problem before.
By the way, this is NOT the 914 I am trying to sell.
THanks for the help!
ED
SGB
If it was preventing the clutch cable from achieving full movement of the clutch arm, it would certainly make it really hard to get into gear.

you can loosen the clutch cable enough to slip it over the wheel. Seems like somewhere way back there was a metal one available someone made..
benalishhero
What condition are your linkage bushings in?
ChrisFoley
Eurropean Racing Header?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.