Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Crankshft Bent!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
root
Everything was going fine with the 2.0 Liter engine rebuild for the 2 wheeled type4. I had all the major engine components ready for the rebuild.
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Then last weekend I mounted the crankshaft in the vise with rubber jaws.
Heated and installed the cam and distributor gears.
I left the crank vise while I took a break to eat dinner.
While sitting at the dinner table I heard a really loud "BONG...ONG....ONG! coming
from the garage.

The crank slipped out of the vise, did a 180 and hit the concrete garage floor.
Click to view attachment
Chip in concrete floor!

After the event I mounted the crank between centers and measured the center journal run out 0.002". I also put the crank in the case with the end bearings only and measured the run out 0.002".
Click to view attachment

I'm stuck trying to decide what to do? Buy a rebuilt crank? Try and fix this one?
Or just use it as is?
confused24.gif

sean_v8_914
its trash.
BMXerror
hissyfit.gif
Regrind, maybe, but I'd be concerned about internal stresses in the metal. At a very minimum I would have it magnafluxed. But I may have to agree with Sean on this one. sad.gif
Mark D.
root
I posted in the classifieds and on samba for a replacement.
see what happens!
before this event mine was good std./std., polished and balanced. sad.gif
76-914
Really glad that I read this thread. I'm about a week from doing this myself and would have used the ruubber covers also. Not now.
wertygrog
My stroker crank had 0.007" runout, and I trashed it. But there are crankshaft shops that should be able to straighten that for you. If it's just a stock crank it might not be worth the cost and effort though.
root
Yah! This is the first time I ever held one in the vise?
I always used to just bolt it to the flywheel while setting the gears on the crank.
I tried to get fancy with rubber jaws in the vise, saw it on Raby's video and thought
I'd try it. I'm going back to the old school flywheel method from now on! biggrin.gif
Cap'n Krusty
Two words: "Aluminum jaws".

Bummer, dude.

The Cap'n
McMark
confused24.gif I've always just set the crank on the workbench while installing the gears. Or if you like it upright, bolt it to the flywheel as a 'stand'.

That's a major bummer. You have my sympathy. sad.gif
type47
QUOTE(root @ May 11 2011, 07:46 PM) *

see what happens!

I've got 2 for you to choose from (3 if you want to look at the one for my build)
jimkelly
i knew someone in vienna had to have some CRANK : )
type47
smoke.gif
root
QUOTE(type47 @ May 12 2011, 04:46 AM) *

QUOTE(root @ May 11 2011, 07:46 PM) *

see what happens!

I've got 2 for you to choose from (3 if you want to look at the one for my build)

Jim! Are you back?
Are you ever coming back to work?
We transformed MATSYS while you've been gone!

When can we hookup so I can check out your CRANK?
Kelly can have what I don't use? biggrin.gif
jimkelly
last 5 years have been slow - 80 hp slow - but - this year is looking good - not good enough to send my car to scottyb's though : (

sold 6 homes already this year - and - as of 1:30pm today - will have 5 more under contract. gotta keep the momentum going. got a whole bunch of bills that need to be paid, as well as federal taxes from last year.

anytime i smell some cooking meat at matsys - you'll see my oil dripping, gas guzzling pig, pullin in to your lot : )

pic of adam getting ready for prom.
sean_v8_914
PS. I am sorry for your loss
root
Thanks for the update Brother!
I actually directed that to McLeod but that pic of Adam headed to the prom
is a keeper! aktion035.gif

QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 12 2011, 06:31 AM) *

last 5 years have been slow - 80 hp slow - but - this year is looking good - not good enough to send my car to scottyb's though : (

sold 6 homes already this year - and - as of 1:30pm today - will have 5 more under contract. gotta keep the momentum going. got a whole bunch of bills that need to be paid, as well as federal taxes from last year.

anytime i smell some cooking meat at matsys - you'll see my oil dripping, gas guzzling pig, pullin in to your lot : )

scotty b
QUOTE(root @ May 12 2011, 05:44 AM) *

Thanks for the update Brother!
I actually directed that to McLeod but that pic of Adam headed to the prom
is a keeper! aktion035.gif

QUOTE(jimkelly @ May 12 2011, 06:31 AM) *

Oh THAT's nice. I can see the tears rolling down Kelly's face right now. He always looked up to you Rod and now you just told him in public that you don't give a sh*t about him. McCleod is your real friend. What an A-hole. Maybe that event with the CRANK was just pre-karma dry.gif

poke.gif poke.gif poke.gif

Nice to see ALL of you northern guys around smile.gif Evil has to pick up his new ride at Spraggis sometime soon. Maybe a get together is in order ?? We can all laugh at Mikes new ride while you 3 discuss your CRANKS
chowtime.gif
type47
QUOTE(root @ May 12 2011, 04:45 AM) *

Jim! Are you back?
Are you ever coming back to work?
We transformed MATSYS while you've been gone!

When can we hookup so I can check out your CRANK?
Kelly can have what I don't use? biggrin.gif

Yea, we almost got arrested at THE wedding reception; said our invites were forged but I said I was buds with Wills rolleyes.gif . Dropped Kim off at IAD this morning on her way to Irvine, CA. Do you need me back? I was really enjoying the spring weather and getting some outdoors and garage things done. Had to pay big taxes this year so Matsys kicked us up on the scale. I'll bring the CRANKS by at lunch today.
jimkelly
hissyfit.gif

waiting for ups to arrive with my new camera lens - so i can get a few nice pics of my boy running in this weekends high school conference track events.

then off to a recent client to help him use a computer graphics program.

then off to get a contract signed.

got the v8 running in the garage right now - annoying the neighbors ; ))
zymurgist
Dayum! I was wondering how that build was going.
Jake Raby
Jose at DPR can straighten it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.