Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Build Thread for WCR 2011...ASAP
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
montoya 73 2.0
So My 2L blew #4 cylinder. So Jamie (JRust) told me about a motor near him. I drove up and picked it up off a young kid that also has the 74 it was rebuilt for. The story is that the motor was never ran, 0 miles and has been sitting just as its pictured since being rebuilt. Anyone know anything about these Pistons?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
The whole motor was covered by a piece of plastic, neither the spark plug or intake manifold orifices were blocked off. This is what I saw when I looked in it whit a flashlight.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
So seeing the valves and a little bit of thought, I decided to pull the heads off and this is what I saw.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
Here is what I saw when I pulled the covers off. If you look at the push rods, You can see that wire is placed under the rods instead of on top?

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
montoya 73 2.0
Decided to replace all the valves & Guides and since all that crap is inside the cylinders (both sides) I'm contemplating removing the cylinders to see what was done inside. I was told the crank was re-surfaced but nothing is known about the Cam. What say you?
montoya 73 2.0
Oh I forgot the pictures of the valves.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
Tom_T
It doesn't look like the cylinders were honed properly either, so I'd have doubts about the crank & cam. It looks more like a quickie "throw in the new parts & hope for the best" type of rebuild IMHO. ... but then I'm not as expert as many on here! biggrin.gif
nathansnathan
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 11 2011, 08:47 PM) *

Here is what I saw when I pulled the covers off. If you look at the push rods, You can see that wire is placed under the rods instead of on top?
Click to view attachment

The wire is supposed to go under. You've done it some other way? It does look a little bent.
mojorisen914
I would seriously question everything about that motor rebuild. I would take it apart and and start from scratch. Just my .02 worth.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(nathansnathan @ May 12 2011, 06:15 AM) *

Click to view attachment

The wire is supposed to go under. You've done it some other way? It does look a little bent.

I thought I read on here somewhere that they were supposed to be on the top? Am I wrong?
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(mojorisen914 @ May 12 2011, 06:35 AM) *

I would seriously question everything about that motor rebuild. I would take it apart and and start from scratch. Just my .02 worth.

I was thinking the same thing as I got further into looking at it. The wife isn't going to be happy! confused24.gif She wants it done for WCR.
Root_Werks
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 12 2011, 10:38 AM) *

QUOTE(nathansnathan @ May 12 2011, 06:15 AM) *

Click to view attachment

I thought I read on here somewhere that they were supposed to be on the top? Am I wrong?

Mine are under like the picture. confused24.gif
montoya 73 2.0
I was wondering how to place those things on the top without them rubbing the rods. Whew, All those years of pot smoking is finally catching up?!
ptravnic
the wire is def where it is supposed to be - no problem there
MartyYeoman
QUOTE(ptravnic @ May 12 2011, 12:03 PM) *

the wire is def where it is supposed to be - no problem there

agree.gif
Root_Werks
QUOTE(montoya 73 2.0 @ May 12 2011, 11:59 AM) *

I was wondering how to place those things on the top without them rubbing the rods. Whew, All those years of pot smoking is finally catching up?!

shades.gif laugh.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.