Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Turn signal flasher relay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
John
What goes wrong with the turn signal flasher relay when it quits indicating which side turn signal is flashing? I am getting the first blink nice and bright and subsequent flashes dimmer and sometimes both indicators light dimly.

Anyone know the answer?

I know, mine is a bit custom, but I can't be the only one that has done this.

Mike Bellis
Bad relay. Replace it. There are 2 seporate relays inside the flasher. One does the dash indicator, the other does the signal lights.
John
OK.

So I replaced my flasher relay with one from ZIMS. The relay is a cheap made in china POS, and it is electronic inside.

Here is the issue:

When the e-brake is on and the key is on, both turn signal indicators flash in unison with the brake warning light.

When the emergency flasher switch is on, both indicators illuminate in unison.

When the e-brake is off and the emergency flasher switch is off, the turn signal indicators seem to function correctly for the most part. Sometimes when the switch is first turned on, I will get a single flash where both indicators are on, but then it resumes flashing the correct indicator normally.

The outside lights all flash correctly.

Prior to all this, everything worked correctly.

Is there a diode missing from this new made in China POS?

Anyone else experience similar results?
larss
John, I have exactly the same symptoms in my car (have not cecked the e-brake thing but everything else is the same as yours).
I have an original (Bosch) relay and it has some electronics inside. I cleaned the inside of the relay with som contact cleaner and now when turning left mostly it it flashes OK, when turning right still just one single clear flash then both lamps dim-flashing.
For me when having more revs it seems like the left side works at its best.

/Lars S
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.