Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Early/Late Dash Differences
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
racerbvd
How about some pix to compare the differences..
Tom_T
Byron - the big difference was adding fresh air vents at each end, with corresponding shortening of the glovebox/door & shifting inboard of the switches on the far left. So the top & knee pads differ accordingly.

Here's my buddy's 71 914/4 (that's a dealer supplied rosewood dash face option since sold new) without the side vents -

Click to view attachment

... continued next post ....
Tom_T
.... and .....

Here's the dash on my 73 2.0 with the late style side vents (radio is out, so that's the hole to left of glovebox) -

Click to view attachment Click to view attachment Click to view attachment
... (sorry for the dark & fuzzy cellphone pix)

Hope this answers whatever you're looking for! beerchug.gif
Tom_T
Here's a better pic of the left/driver's side of the dash from another 73 2.0 -

Click to view attachment
SLITS
Ashtray is in a slightly different location on early cars also.
nathansnathan
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 12 2011, 11:47 AM) *

So the top & knee pads differ accordingly.

What changes on the top pad? -I've got the late dash with the vents in my 72. I'm a bit worried now as I found an uncracked top pad relatively cheap and I'm not sure what year it was out of. I'll have to take it out of the box and compare later.
racerbvd
Thanks guys, I have 2 extra dashes and need to know which one to use on my 76, and back date one for my GT clone (I have a 914-6 dash for it, not sure what tops I have & want to have one recovered for it) and may trade one off for a Getty 911 dash for the 76(no you guys know how I ended up with so much stuff) WTF.gif
avidfanjpl
Tommy T!

Shame on you, that is a BEFORE picture of my car.

The door panels are new, the 914rubber door jamb rubbers are installed, there are new Resto Design steel valances, and new mats, and a new ashtray you can't see, and new seatbelts and new press stickers, and a new fuse cover and a new set of window cranks and scrapers, a new mirror, a new heater handle, and hell, the beat goes on!

You back from Georgia yet?

John
GaroldShaffer
Best way to tell is mesaure the width of the indent where the glove box is. Longer indent is early (bigger glove box) sjorter is later. You can use the later one on a early car, but glove box lid wont open all the way up.
racerbvd
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 13 2011, 03:28 AM) *

Best way to tell is mesaure the width of the indent where the glove box is. Longer indent is early (bigger glove box) sjorter is later. You can use the later one on a early car, but glove box lid wont open all the way up.

Thanks Garaold, the 2 dashes I have handy (I have a few core ones in storage) measure 13" at the widest (back of the glove box opening) point so I'm guessing this is late..
racerbvd
WTF.gif WTF.gif WTF.gif

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
So how wide should it be, the opening for the early dash???

Click to view attachment
racerbvd
QUOTE(racerbvd @ May 18 2011, 09:01 AM) *

So how wide should it be, the opening for the early dash???

Click to view attachment

confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif confused24.gif
GaroldShaffer
I won't be back home until Wednesday late afternoon otherwise I would go out and measure and take a picture of my 70. If you don't have an answer by then I will get the pics for you when I get back home.
racerbvd
QUOTE(Garold Shaffer @ May 30 2011, 06:23 PM) *

I won't be back home until Wednesday late afternoon otherwise I would go out and measure and take a picture of my 70. If you don't have an answer by then I will get the pics for you when I get back home.

Great, thanks!!!
nathansnathan
I measured mine. I'm lucky they're both late. smile.gif The clearance for the glove box opening measures 12.5 inches at the back (front) were it would touch the dash. The part above the vent measures 4 inches.
racerbvd
Thanks, so 13.5 across in the glove box area makes it correct for a 70 & 71?/

GaroldShaffer
I would say yes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.