Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Found (2) Rust Free 914's in the neighborhood FS
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WANTED: 914 Cars and Rollers
TJB/914
pray.gif Boys & Girls this is my "highest Buy Recommendation" for a pair of "Real Rust Free" 914's. I traveled a new route home today and saw (2) 914 rollers sitting along side a shed (workship) at a private home. I stopped & had a nice conversation with the owner. He is a very knowledgeable Porsche good guy that is not involved with the Porsche crowd. He purchased these Calif. rust free cars a long time ago and must get rid of them before June 1st when he moves to Northern CA. Hold on to your self, because he wants what he paid for them. $3K for everything!!!!!! He wants someone to buy the lot & finish them without haggling on price. Now it gets better stirthepot.gif

First one: 1970 signal orange roller with perfect longs. Hell-hole only a little surface rust. Original windshield with the plastic 2"x4" porsche logo. Front chrome bumper has one small ding. Rear chrome bumper looked perfect. Hang on there is more, it sits on 911 5-lug fuchs (I think 6"x15") with hub caps. He said the engine is a 2-L with Webbers. I didn't see the motor because it was in the attic. He has all the parts scattered in the barn , attic & I am sure he has everything.

Second one: 1975 Red (forgot the name) roller with 4-lug Fuchs, Almost the same as above except the battery box is rusted out and the hell hole might have a minor rust hole. BTW" perfect longs, etc. etc.

Note: Both 914's are rollers and the parts are off the car and in storage. A perfect project. smilie_pokal.gif

I am not a buyer & told him I'll pass on to my friends. I wish I had a barn & an understanding wife, but I am not a buyer. I am happy with what I have, but the 70 one gave me a drooling woodie. Tomorrow I have permission to take pictures and I will post them for everyone to see. w00t.gif I'll take more time tomorrow to verify what I saw today, but my eye balls know rust free.

My friends first if you know the secrete handshake bye1.gif or send me an email only after I post the photo's. Tom's highest buy Recommendation!!! piratenanner.gif

BTW: Barber Dave, you get 1st choice if your still looking.

Tom
mepstein
You made me cry.
stugray
Damn..... If I was closer, I really need a clean roller...

Not worth transportation costs to CO.

Sounds like a killer deal though!

Stu
Foster
Very interested. PM sent.
Foster
Ooops, sorry. Got so excited, I didnt read the last couple lines of your post before I pm'ed.
Please keep me in mind after the secret handshake crowd.
rick 918-S
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif popcorn[1].gif assimilate.gif
TJB/914
QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 12 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Rick,

agree.gif I didn't have my camera with me when I found this treasure. I'll take photo's tomorrow when I am in the area and post tomorrow evening. More tomorrow. popcorn[1].gif

Foster, I got your PM and MI guys get the secrete hand shake happy11.gif

Tom

GaroldShaffer
Great find Tom. Can't wait to see the pictures.
Cairo94507
The '70 has RIQUEMAR written all over it for his cousin maybe.
rick 918-S
QUOTE(Cairo94507 @ May 13 2011, 08:09 AM) *

The '70 has RIQUEMAR written all over it for his cousin maybe.

California is full of 914's these need to stay in the midwest.
jim_hoyland
QUOTE(Thomas J Bliznik @ May 12 2011, 05:52 PM) *

QUOTE(rick 918-S @ May 12 2011, 04:40 PM) *

Rick,

agree.gif I didn't have my camera with me when I found this treasure. I'll take photo's tomorrow when I am in the area and post tomorrow evening. More tomorrow. popcorn[1].gif

Foster, I got your PM and MI guys get the secrete hand shake happy11.gif

Tom

Add the VINs to the database... smile.gif
TJB/914
Hi Boys & Girls, sit down, pour a cup of coffee & turn up the volume!! beerchug.gif
I took over 90 photo's and had the time of my life. The seller is an interesting guy and we had a great time talking cars. He is a former Marine, degree's in everything, machinest, welder, engr. & jack of all trades. He is leaving the area June 1st to build a winery in N. CA. The guy is brilliant and knows Porsche's!! pray.gif His brother is staying behind in MI and will handle the disposal after his brother leaves for CA.
Anyway I want to set the table for my visit today before I show you the (2) 914's For Sale. I will post the 914's in seperate posts but first here is his shop & attic full of parts. lets call this the "914 Barn Find".
BTW: The 914 owner wants to package the two cars together & I agree. It would be difficult to go through his garage, storage bins and attic if you tried to seperate the 70 & 75 if they were split up.
Disclaimer: I found a few warts I didn't see the first time, but I still believe these 914's are 95% rust free. We don't see 914's like this in the Mid-West. I'll show the 1970 first & believe this one should be the street rod canidate & the 1975 one in some ways better than the 70 914. It's a true canidate for a CW restoration.

PART #1

Tom
TJB/914
Continue Part #1
Attic with parts everwhere in box's plus stuff in other bldgs. The 914's were complete running cars when they came from CA and he claims he has everything, but finding it might be difficult.
BTW: He said this 2.5 liter Bxstr is special??? and the Ford Vtec Motor is going in the formula car. yikes.
TJB/914
Part #2
Here is the 1970 914 Vin# 4702903169 and a 2.0 liter 4-cyl with fuel injection goes with the car. Motor # GA008436 Also a side shift trans, etc. etc.
TJB/914
Part #2 continued

Hell hole was not as clean as I first thought, but it's solid and no major rust. Needs cleaning up to look better.
TJB/914
Part #2 continued

This is the last series of the 70 914
I'll try to get the 75 on later this evening or in the AM
TJB/914
Part #2 continued

This is the last series of the 70 914
I'll try to get the 75 on later this evening or in the AM
TJB/914
More tomorrow, it's late.

Teaser on the 75 photo

Tom
TJB/914
Here's the infor on the 1975 914
Vin#4752903469 it has a 1.8 liter in the car (see photo)

Tom
TJB/914
Last of the photo's

Anyone seriously interested in these (2) 914's contact me on my personal email for the owners name & address.
Disclaimer:: I have no skin in the game & just passing on this info to 914-World. We don't see nice rollers in the Mid-West at these low prices. The owner's are nice guys & I will not post their name & phone # over a forum. Again, if interested contact my email below. type.gif

Tom
email: <tjbliznik@ameritech.net>
Cairo94507
Wow great find and excellent work posting those here for these guys. I hope someone snaps up both cars and put them back on the road. Thanks for taking the time and posting them.
Schump
Tom,

What a gold mine! drunk.gif (If only I lived in the midwest, or had my own garage as I still have my 2nd car, a '73 2.0 from NE with too much factory rust to rustore...again!)

BTW, That open wheeled race car is one of THE best. It's a Swift DB-6, designed by David Bruns, hence the name. My old boss owned one (I think only built '88-'90-ish.) BTW, my 1st paid race car wrenching job @ Bridgehampton (RIP) and then we moved our shop from the track to the Poconos when Dennis bought Bertil Roos Racing School. We wrenched his 1998 Van Diemen Formula Continental, some rental and customer Formula Fords and a Formula Monster (Mazda) and other customers had the same style FC's. The DB-6 isn't quite as fast as a brand new Van Diemen Formula Continental, but a much better designed car (aero from 10 yrs before wasn't as good but you can nut & bolt the entire car w/ 3 wrenches. Try doing that with an English chassis! (Swifts were built in CA, btw. and TIG'd instead of being brazed, so the chassis never gets soft like a 5 yr old Van Diemen.) It's the best chassis if you really want to race 1600cc pushrod Formula Fords in SCCA... buy the DB6 and convert it for the FF motor. Much better than the rocker arm suspended DB-1.

The pic down below is a Hewland MK9 4 speed gearbox. The DB-6 originally came with a 100hp 2.0 pinto motor on steroids making ~150hp, but they're built so loose, we sent ours back to the engine builder for a "freshening" for a "mere" $2500 every 3-4 races.

That car is worth 17k or so, but will be MUCH nicer with a "hassle free" modern 2.5L mill. It will also pull 2.5 g's in a corner at speed w/ aero downforce, or ~1.5g's laterally in a very low speed corner. Give me! (OK, I want all 3 cars, then add a 10111hp twin turbo Japanese V8 to the 5 lugged 914, just to have Bugatti hp+10 for ~$25,000 [build cost of a street legal track beast built to win Car & Driver's 1 Lap of America, or I think it's Tire Rack's now?] vs $1.5x10^6 for the Bug. My next project once I get another job and a garage and some time off from the 4 leg operations to replace my bum left knee, a total of 12 on the same broke 3x L leg...yeah, I'm an adrenaline junkie, and I still ski, but I quit riding bikes...

Thanks for the find, both those 14's look sweeeet!
Dave
TJB/914
QUOTE(Schump @ May 30 2011, 09:17 PM) *

Tom,

What a gold mine! drunk.gif (If only I lived in the midwest, or had my own garage as I still have my 2nd car, a '73 2.0 from NE with too much factory rust to rustore...again!)

BTW, That open wheeled race car is one of THE best. It's a Swift DB-6, designed by David Bruns, hence the name. My old boss owned one (I think only built '88-'90-ish.) BTW, my 1st paid race car wrenching job @ Bridgehampton (RIP) and then we moved our shop from the track to the Poconos when Dennis bought Bertil Roos Racing School. We wrenched his 1998 Van Diemen Formula Continental, some rental and customer Formula Fords and a Formula Monster (Mazda) and other customers had the same style FC's. The DB-6 isn't quite as fast as a brand new Van Diemen Formula Continental, but a much better designed car (aero from 10 yrs before wasn't as good but you can nut & bolt the entire car w/ 3 wrenches. Try doing that with an English chassis! (Swifts were built in CA, btw. and TIG'd instead of being brazed, so the chassis never gets soft like a 5 yr old Van Diemen.) It's the best chassis if you really want to race 1600cc pushrod Formula Fords in SCCA... buy the DB6 and convert it for the FF motor. Much better than the rocker arm suspended DB-1.

The pic down below is a Hewland MK9 4 speed gearbox. The DB-6 originally came with a 100hp 2.0 pinto motor on steroids making ~150hp, but they're built so loose, we sent ours back to the engine builder for a "freshening" for a "mere" $2500 every 3-4 races.

That car is worth 17k or so, but will be MUCH nicer with a "hassle free" modern 2.5L mill. It will also pull 2.5 g's in a corner at speed w/ aero downforce, or ~1.5g's laterally in a very low speed corner. Give me! (OK, I want all 3 cars, then add a 10111hp twin turbo Japanese V8 to the 5 lugged 914, just to have Bugatti hp+10 for ~$25,000 [build cost of a street legal track beast built to win Car & Driver's 1 Lap of America, or I think it's Tire Rack's now?] vs $1.5x10^6 for the Bug. My next project once I get another job and a garage and some time off from the 4 leg operations to replace my bum left knee, a total of 12 on the same broke 3x L leg...yeah, I'm an adrenaline junkie, and I still ski, but I quit riding bikes...

Thanks for the find, both those 14's look sweeeet!
Dave

Dave,
Thanks for the lesson on that race car. I knew I was looking at something special & your build information confirms what my eyeballs looked at.

BTW: Those (2) 99% rust free 914's are sold. They stayed in West MI and I am waiting to talk to the buyer to find out the details.
Rumor has it they were free!! hissyfit.gif huh.gif confused24.gif laugh.gif stirthepot.gif w00t.gif

Tom av-943.gif
TJB/914
Dave,
I went back into my file to look at that Hewland MK9 4-speed gearbox and it was an outstanding piece of workmanship. Here's a few more photo's of the box & race car. Hmmm, I am wondering if he will sell it now that the owner is moving to CA. It's staying in MI at his brothers garage. poke.gif

Tom
Foster
You are correct Tom, they be sold!! Thank you again for your help in the matter.

I was waiting to post until I had them in my possesion, didnt want to jinx anything.

They werent exactly free, but I definately got my moneys worth. And yes, they are virtually rust free. I'll start a thread in the garage soon as I get everything home and under cover.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.