Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Update on 74 1.8 L-Jet
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Levi
So here is what's new, A fellow 914 guy,(Thanks Jeff), sent me a Air Flow Sensor (AFS) because my old AFS tested bad, I received it today and put it in, it starts it runs. mueba.gif ..After it gets all warmed up it runs like a top...it has good throttle response pulls good all through the RPM range..COOL..But here's the thing I'm puzzled about even though it's running great it hunts the idle between 200-800 RPM's until I remove the oil filler cap when I remove it, the idle smoothes out and sits at 1000 RPM's and the car seems to run perfect...What's up with that??
confused24.gif
Trekkor
It's quite simple, really...You have gremlins biggrin.gif

devil.gif devil.gif devil.gif
Levi
QUOTE(trekkor @ May 28 2004, 03:53 PM)
It's quite simple, really...You have gremlins biggrin.gif

devil.gif  :devil:  :devil:

biggrin.gif lol2.gif lol2.gif smart ass.. lol2.gif lol2.gif
beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
Levi, there was JUST a thread on this, about a pressurized case... you need to vent your case at the heads and oil filler... the thread was just 1-2 days ago...

glad you got it going!!! I love hearing good news!
Levi
QUOTE(tat2dphreak @ May 28 2004, 04:11 PM)
Levi, there was JUST a thread on this, about a pressurized case... you need to vent your case at the heads and oil filler... the thread was just 1-2 days ago...

glad you got it going!!! I love hearing good news!

I remember the thread, wasn't he having a problem with oil coming out all over his engine on a new car he just bought?
I found it also idles better if I remove the vacuum line from the back of the vacuum advance and leave it open.

Its really only fairly good news because it still runs like shit cold, but that will be another thread.. laugh.gif
Trekkor
Timing is good?
jim912928
Replace the gaskets on your oil filler cap. L-jets are finicky about such things...a failing oil filler gasket can really cause the engine to run crappy. And make sure all the vacuum hoses are tight and leak free...the L-jet system really doesn't like any leaks at all.

Jim

p.s. I replaced all vacuum lines and oil filler gasket and my l-jet (75 1.8) purrs like a kitten now.
Levi
QUOTE(jim912928 @ May 28 2004, 04:45 PM)
all the vacuum hoses are tight and leak free...

I know everyone is trying to be helpful sooo Please forgive me for being an ass, but I've Already replaced the vacuum hoses ,I don't have a vacuum leak anymore!

The oil cap seems to seal TO good...again it runs better with the cap OFF

At the risk of sounding like the asshole I am...PLEASE NO ONE TELL ME ABOUT THE VACUUM ANYMORE!! PLEASE, I've been told about the infamous L-Jet vacuum leaks about 30 times...so I already fixed them.. beerchug.gif
Mark Henry
It might be a vacuum leak wink.gif biggrin.gif
Levi
QUOTE(Mark Henry @ May 28 2004, 05:05 PM)
It might be a vacuum leak wink.gif biggrin.gif

lol2.gif chairfall.gif :finger2: lol2.gif
beerchug.gif
treemn
"I found it also idles better if I remove the vacuum line from the back of the vacuum advance and leave it open."

Levi, Glad the parts made it. As was suggested in the previous posts,check timing & eliminate all vacuum leaks.If the timing is correct it won't idle down without the vacuum retard connected.
You should be able to cure the idle surge by adjusting the bypass screw on the AFS.

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.