Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: engine drop... how long??
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
tod914
how long does it take a competant shop to drop a motor??
TheCabinetmaker
i'm not a competant shop. I have no lift. It takes me 45 minutes.
skline
I can drop one in about the same time without a lift. I just use a floor jack. And I dissconnect all the stuff the correct way too.
r_towle
I would have to say, be fair....if this shop has never done a 914 engine drop, 2 hours out, two hours in would be fair.

If they have, like Brad or others, I would figure to be charged one hour out, one in.

Rich
skline
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 28 2004, 05:50 PM)

A competent shop wont charge you actual time to R&R the engine, they will charge you book time. However long it says in the book is what they should be charging. Otherwise, they may not stay in business that long if the mechanic is really good and knows his stuff. What you are paying for is his knowledge. Like me, when I go in to fix a companies computer systems or network or router, they are paying for my knowledge. If I go in and it only takes me ten minutes, and I only bill them for an hour, its fair to them but I wont make much money.

Oh wait, so thats what I have been doing wrong. Shit, I need to restructure my pricing.
Joe Bob
Me and a six pack.....

unsure.gif
Red-Beard
It really depends on what condition you want the engine in afterwards....
skline
QUOTE(mikez @ May 28 2004, 09:48 PM)
Me and a six pack.....

unsure.gif

Hey Mike, is that Toast you are fondling in your avatar? That was out at D&G wasnt it?
Joe Bob
QUOTE(skline @ May 28 2004, 09:03 PM)
QUOTE(mikez @ May 28 2004, 09:48 PM)
Me and a six pack.....

unsure.gif

Hey Mike, is that Toast you are fondling in your avatar? That was out at D&G wasnt it?

Her left hand is on my butt..... mueba.gif

I wish.......... lol2.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 28 2004, 05:50 PM)

as mentioned above, a "competant shop" will charge you book time ...

once you've done it a few times, 30-45 minutes for in & out,
Andy
machina
even with all the tools and an impact wrench, took me the better part of a weekend. what can I say.

almost every bolt and fastener was either stuck or jammed or rusted solid.

at the front mount, even after one bolt sheared off and the other one removed, the motor wouldn't budge. Had to use a sledge hammer and a 2x4 to knock it loose. That only came after a couple hours trying to figure out what the hell was going on.

i was working alone so that made things slower of course. Now I have to pull the 1.7 out of the racecar but I think that will go much faster now that I know what to expect.

It was fun even with the frustrating moments.

dr
rhodyguy
holy crap!!! nice tool rest.

kevin
Pnambic
idea.gif Well, today, started about 10:00. Finished last beer around 3:00. biggrin.gif beer.gif

Granted, none of us had ever done this before and we had to stop half way through to go get a smaller dolly for the engine, but we all survived, relatively unscathed, and we broke nothing. We weren't in any great hurry either.
clap56.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.