Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Metric Tap & Die Set
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
I've tried the cheaper no name brands and they are worthless. Where does one get a good strong set that will last?
underthetire
MSC industrial supply, Local machine shop tooling store etc.. but be prepared, the good stuff aint cheap. I will say the cheaper "quality import" stuff at MSC is still 10X better than the general stuff at the hardware store, and 100X better than the HF stuff.
914Sixer
I have been using the same Craftsman set for 20+ years. I can not vouch for the quality now though.
underthetire
Oh, btw you probably want hand plug taps. There are a lot of different style taps for machine shops.
Rotary'14
I would think sears craftsman brand would be good enough for home mechanic uses,, doesn't their tool replacement warranty cover broken taps and dies too?

-Robert
avidfanjpl
I just bought Craftsman.

Not cheap but PERFECT.

I cleaned out all sorts of metric threads on my car, including really small stuff.

No issues at all.

John
Bartlett 914
Hertel makes a nice set. This what I use.
Hertel tap and die set

The picture shows only drills. I think it is in error. The set has the correct drill and tap for most of the sizes you will need. There are some fine thread screws in the 914. These are not there
scrz914
I cleaned out all sorts of metric threads on my car, including really small stuff.

I've heard that a thread "chaser" is different then a tap. Does anyone know if this is true. I'm always needing to clean up threads.

Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 12 2011, 06:58 PM) *

I've heard that a thread "chaser" is different then a tap. Does anyone know if this is true. I'm always needing to clean up threads.

I was about to comment on that. A thread chaser reforms and lightly cuts the threads, a tap, at least the kind you can buy nearly anywhere, removes material. The fit of the threads is going to be compromised. Snap On sells a nice set of thread chasers, and also individual pieces, that work really well for cleaning out threaded holes and dies for cleaning up bolts and studs. I use 'em all the time. Taps also need to be lubricated with cutting oil to cut clean threads. There are more esoteric tap sets which come in groups of 3 (or possibly more, I dunno). Progressively, each of the set cuts deeper threads to achieve the desired thread engagement.

The Cap'n
ELLIOTT
Bacon grease is an excellant tap lubricant, just in case anyone doesn't know what kind of oil to buy.
scrz914
Snap On sells a nice set of thread chasers, and also individual pieces, that work really well for cleaning out threaded holes and dies for cleaning up bolts and studs.

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. I have never seen "chaser" sets sold. I'll have to flag down a Snap On van.

914Mike
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 12 2011, 07:56 PM) *

Snap On sells a nice set of thread chasers, and also individual pieces, that work really well for cleaning out threaded holes and dies for cleaning up bolts and studs.

Thank you. That's what I wanted to know. I have never seen "chaser" sets sold. I'll have to flag down a Snap On van.

Snap-On also sells really nice tap and die sets. Bring money.
carr914
QUOTE(ELLIOTT @ May 12 2011, 10:30 PM) *

Bacon grease is an excellant tap lubricant, just in case anyone doesn't know what kind of oil to buy.

Umm Bacon ! chowtime.gif
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 12 2011, 11:56 PM) *

I'll have to flag down a Snap On van.

Snap-On finally wised up - you can get everything they sell online.
76-914
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRHM
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 13 2011, 09:57 AM) *

I like ENCO. You can buy a lot of stuff there.
But you CAN'T buy metric taps & dies there.
I've emailed them on this.
I've responded to their 'where have you been' customer surveys.

Despite the fact that a lot of their stuff (and virtually all machine tools) is made in China, they just don't do metric.

[Edit - OK - I looked again, and to my great surprise, they do have metric taps & dies. Not listed if you look under 'sets' but they are there listed individually under 'hand taps' and 'hand dies.' Good to know, because I've had some stuff on my ENCO list for while, waiting for an excuse...]

I donno about MSC - they're actually closer to me and I've been meaning to try them.

The last few metric taps & dies I've needed I bought either from SnapOn.com or McMaster-Carr. I like McMaster in part because they ship (to me) from New Jersey (they have other warehouses and shipping points...) and I usually get 1-day UPS ground. I've actually had something I ordered early in the morning arrive the afternoon of the same day. They don't promise it and I don't count on it, but it's a nice surprise every time it happens...
underthetire
Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on snap on cutting tools. You are paying 5X what a better set would be from industrial suppliers.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 13 2011, 09:05 AM) *

QUOTE(76-914 @ May 13 2011, 09:57 AM) *

I like ENCO. You can buy a lot of stuff there.
But you CAN'T buy metric taps & dies there.
I've emailed them on this.
I've responded to their 'where have you been' customer surveys.

Despite the fact that a lot of their stuff (and virtually all machine tools) is made in China, they just don't do metric.

[Edit - OK - I looked again, and to my great surprise, they do have metric taps & dies. Not listed if you look under 'sets' but they are there listed individually under 'hand taps' and 'hand dies.' Good to know, because I've had some stuff on my ENCO list for while, waiting for an excuse...]

I donno about MSC - they're actually closer to me and I've been meaning to try them.

The last few metric taps & dies I've needed I bought either from SnapOn.com or McMaster-Carr. I like McMaster in part because they ship (to me) from New Jersey (they have other warehouses and shipping points...) and I usually get 1-day UPS ground. I've actually had something I ordered early in the morning arrive the afternoon of the same day. They don't promise it and I don't count on it, but it's a nice surprise every time it happens...

You can get good and cheap things at Enco. I use them. They are owned by MSC BTW. MSC is great. Best stuff, fast service. Pricing may not be the cheapest but good enough. I sure don't feel ripped off. Snap On is good but way over priced. Mc master Carr is also really good. I use them for materials and hardware. Lots of stuff. I use MSC for most of my cutting tools. I do use Enco for some cutting tools like end mills.
dion9146
Another plug for Craftsman. Been using a standard and metric set for almost 20 years, and no issues at all. They will be around long after I'm done cutting threads.
Dave_Darling
I was told (about six years ago now) that Snap-On taps and dies were generally not worth the money, and that you can get better ones for less money.

I don't remember what brands those were, though.

--DD
Lou W
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 12 2011, 07:20 PM) *

QUOTE(scrz914 @ May 12 2011, 06:58 PM) *

I was about to comment on that. A thread chaser reforms and lightly cuts the threads, a tap, at least the kind you can buy nearly anywhere, removes material. The fit of the threads is going to be compromised. Snap On sells a nice set of thread chasers, and also individual pieces, that work really well for cleaning out threaded holes and dies for cleaning up bolts and studs. I use 'em all the time. Taps also need to be lubricated with cutting oil to cut clean threads. There are more esoteric tap sets which come in groups of 3 (or possibly more, I dunno). Progressively, each of the set cuts deeper threads to achieve the desired thread engagement.

The Cap'n

I have a set of Snap On Chasers and Blue Point Tap and Die set, I'm very happy with them. The Chasers work great after Powder Coating.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.