Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: RIP, bus 2.0L
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
Well, car has been limping for a while, so I haven't been driving it. Today, figured i'd better make sure it still starts, since i need to drive it to my new house. Smelled like fuel terribly, then PRRrrrr.... nothing. Thats about when the girlfriend knocked on the window and said, hey theres a lot of oil on the ground. blowup.gif

Looks like AAA is towing it now.

On the bright side, I finally found a use for those damn sham wows.
VaccaRabite
Did you get the last horrible "squeak" as the engine seized?
underthetire
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 13 2011, 06:11 AM) *

No, don't think it actually seized. The oil came out the top of the motor I think. If I had to take a guess, I would say the crankcase over pressurized and blew the filler cap off.
Bartlett 914
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 13 2011, 09:37 AM) *

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 13 2011, 06:11 AM) *

No, don't think it actually seized. The oil came out the top of the motor I think. If I had to take a guess, I would say the crankcase over pressurized and blew the filler cap off.

I would doubt that. Maybe oil cooler seals. I wouldn't write it off without looking closer.
edwin
i had a 2ltr bus motor pop a plug behind the flywheel and pumped all the oil out the flexplate hole in the crankcase. all the oils runs out the top.
nice simple job to fix if it is that.
fingers crossed for you
underthetire
This thing has been running on 3 1/2 cylinders for a while. Not worth screwing with. as soon as I get moved, im picking up a 1.8 from the other jeff and putting that one in. This motor has been leaking for a while, and i'm not a huge fan of the hydraulic lifters in a 914. It blew the gasket right out of the filler, and you can see a puddle on top of the motor.
underthetire
Well, believe it or not, I re flashed the megasquirt with my last saved file. Added some stp snot, a half quart of automatic trans fluid in the gas, and drove the sucker to the new house. Ran almost decent in fact. I was not thrilled with some tow truck driver fing something up.
ThinAir
I've been interested in a MegaSquirt type setup for my son's '75 Bus that has a 2.0L Hydraulic Lifter engine. I'm not really up on what it takes to do this stuff. Do you have any details on just what you did to build/install it?
underthetire
I bought the solder it yourself kit, and an o2 weld in bung from dig auto tune, scrounged a gm air temp sensor, a gm Bosch narrow band o2 sensor. Used stock injectors (only with ms2 3.0), stock head temp sensor, and a gm throttle position sensor. The toughest part of the conversion was mounting the gm throttle position sensor on the stock throttle body. I used the stock relay board for power to the ms, and the stock fuel pump relay. I think the total for me was just under 300 bucks. You really don't have to use a tps with the ms if you don't want to.
underthetire
Damn double tap
underthetire
Damn triple tap.
arkitect
Jeff,
There's still that 1.7 motor that was running before we parked it out of the flarred white 70. Do u want to try it?

Dave
underthetire
QUOTE(arkitect @ May 13 2011, 11:30 PM) *

Jeff,
There's still that 1.7 motor that was running before we parked it out of the flarred white 70. Do u want to try it?

Dave

Hey Dave, how you been? I might, if it's ok? Jeff has that 1.8 at his house as well. So one of them should be good. Get your car going yet?
arkitect
You are welcome to it. I want the trany, linkage and interior. Once we get the parts off it I'm going to offer it up as a cheap roller with those large wheels.
arkitect
My progress on my 73 has slowed to a standstill, in the process of moving.

I was really close to starting it for the first time. Had it all hooked up with the fuel pump going but the starter wouldn't engage. Don't know if it is a bad starter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.