Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How much plastic is too much plastic?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mistro
Still searching for my 914. Last week I think I found one in Chicago and have a club member check it out (Thanks Sherry!). While the report is not complete yet, and no pictures yet, Sherry and Scott find out that both front fenders have been replaced with fiberglass (never mentioned in my conversation with the owner). Do I care? I intend for this car to be a weekend kind of toy, not concourse for sure but how bad is it to have stock fenders replaced with fiberglass ones? This is not a GT or other kind of kit, just a replacement. Otherwise at least early indications is that it's a well sorted out and maintained 74 2.0 with original FI restoration about 40K ago, and very little other rust. Asking price is just shy of $7K. I'll post pix when available.
tod914
Think Id want to know why the plastic fenders where installed. Accident? Rust? Seems for 7K, you could find a nice one with original fenders. Don't rush and jump on the first one you see.
tod914
I know of a silver 76 that will be going up for sale soon. Think he wants about 7k. Be a few weeks before Im able to check it out though. Not sure if you want that year or not, but if you are let me know.
mistro
Yeah, I'll be asking that question. I suspect rust. The car was a daily driver in Chicago for most of it's life. The longs were stiffened and the jack posts are gone, but according to club members in Chicago only a little rust has crept back since the restoration 8 years ago. Still if it were a Chalon or a GT Fender kit addon, I'd expected the fiberglass, but I was disappointed to learn of it.
mistro
QUOTE(tod914 @ May 28 2004, 07:42 PM)
I know of a silver 76 that will be going up for sale soon.  Think he wants about 7k.  Be a few weeks before Im able to check it out though.  Not sure if you want that year or not, but if you are let me know.

76 Car was the first I drove! Silver not my first choice, but color less important than rust free, well maintained, low mileage, 2.0, sport appearance package, fuel injectors... Just hope it doesn't have that plaid... You are on the other side of the City? Yeah, I'd be interested, I'll email you my contact info.
tod914
Im about 30 minutes west of NYC. From what I was told about the car, 1 repaint, has working AC, 1 owner. When I find out more, I'll let you know. It's not a garage queen, but the guy said it was decent.
You want a garage queen i'll sell you mine after I replace the alternator and it's harness. wacko.gif
4WheelDrifter
mistro, When you get a 914, PM me here. I'm not far from you at all. I was in Stamford/Norwalk today with my 914. Will be in Norwalk with the 914 again tomorrow.
dmenche914
i'd avoid that car for $7k like the the plague. $7k ought to by a cherry low milage 914 with almost no rust, nor rust repair. Also 1976 is not the most sought after car, due to the smog stuff on it, the engine is less output than the 73 or 74 of same displacement. The rubber bumpers are a matter of taste, some like them, some do not. They are safer, but do wiegh considerably more.

The fact that the jack points are gone, and that the frame has been stiffened, indicates to me it had serius rust at one time. Often rust comes back, so beware of that. Glass fenders, if they are not flares likely means rust or accident in the past. If not done right (and even when done "right" ) the glass can crack at the metal joint. Aagain, I would avoid that car.

This car seems to have to much going aginst it.

1. possible collision damage or rust in front with the funky "stock" glass fenders.

2. Known prior rust in the chassis. (did they really get all the rust out?)

3. missing jack points.

4. later car that weighs more, and has less power than early cars.

5. $7k is on the upper end of price for a top quality car. This car from your discripition is likely "poor" quality at best.

All and all, keep looking, there are a lot of cars out there, you could do much better than this one.

Your part of the country with the weather and all means more likelyhold of rust. You might want to look for a recent sunbelt transplant car. High Performance House in Calif might be able to set you up with a better car, and still be less money even with one way air fare to get out here.

Nice 914's without collision or serius rust can be had out here in the $4-5K range. Ones as you descibe might fetch $1-2K out here, and only to someone that wants to invest a lot of time fixxing it. (and thats assuming it is ok mechanically)

I hate to tell you to avoid this car without seeing it, but from your discription, it just ain't worth it in my opinion.

dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.