Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pulling Dash
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eresener
My son and I have started pulling the dash on his project 914...thought we got all the bolts and screws out...but still won't come out...any step by step suggestions...

decided to come to the BEST resources...all of you

TIA,

Ed

and no...no sawsall to the dash...
SirAndy
just the dash top or the metal frame also?

some of the plastic nuts for the top can be hard to find, make sure you got them all. if it won't move in a spot, you forgot a nut! wink.gif
take out the instrument cluster to get better access to the nuts in that area. same goes for the glove compartment and radio.

there's also 4 10mm nuts you have to get to from the front trunk (they're under the cowl-area) if you want to remove the metal frame.

Andy
boxstr
Count the plastic or alloy nuts if you want to remove the dash only. there are 9 of them if they are all there from the factory. And yes Andy is correct they can be hard to get to and find.
Remove the lower dash kneepad, then the inner cardboard glove box. I also revcommend pulling the steering wheel. you need to pull the gauge cluster forward, not all hte way out, the radio and you are ready to go.
CCLINDASHRESTORATION
Trekkor
Thanks for the info. I'll be installing the dash in the future.
eresener
Thanks guys,
I found two of the plastic ones...up and behind the air vents..and we already pulled the gauge cluster...will look in there today...also the sheet metal screws on each end of the dash...and the ones for the bracing for the radio and heater control...will pull glove box today and see what else I can find...

Andy...you are so right...this sucker won't go anywhere...if they're not alll pulled.

again...thanks you guys came through.

Ed
sawzall-smiley.gif
John2kx
Ed,

I'm in the middle of doing this job today. Attached photos show all 9 studs.

Had a heck of a time trying to remove glovebox and left it installed. I'm sure it would be easier to get to one of the screws on that side but was able to get them all with glovebox installed.

You'll have to have both doors open when your finished removing all screws to allow dash to come out of car.

The first pic will start at drivers side and show 3 of the 9 studs.

John
John2kx
Moving left to right, here are the next 2. (use ash tray hole for reference).
John2kx
And the next 2.
John2kx
Last 2
John2kx
The following show slotted holes in metal frame that should help with locating retaining nuts.
John2kx
two at far right side
John2kx
one at left side of ash tray
John2kx
Two at far left side.

John
John2kx
The new vinyl has cut outs which locate several of the holes as viewed from overhead. The two at instrument cluster are what I'm trying to point out.
rhodyguy
great reference piece john. classic status.

kevin
eresener
John,
You are the man smilie_pokal.gif ....good pics...they really illistrate where to look for those ever illusive nuts...

I must admit...I was somewhat stumped ...but now...unstumped...

this thread should be placed in the classics...for I am sure there are others out there who need visual help...
Ed
sawzall-smiley.gif
John2kx
Thanks guys.........I'm going a little further than just the dash pad. Windshield is out to replace vinyl material between dash and glass. This is my first attempt at restoration of this area of a 914 and there has always been confusion (for me anyway) with areas like lower (inside) windshield gasket, chrome trim retaining clips and location of dash retaining nuts. Thanks to a few recent posts concerning windshield removal, that part was performed without any problems. I'll document my progress with photos and possible start a new thread when complete.

Currrent status: dash installed, 3 nuts to go.

John
eresener
John...and everyone else...

well we got the whole dash out...and it did take some doing...my son, his buddy, my oldest daughter (13) and me...kids were great...it's great...they can get their hands into places mine won't go..

was really neat...the 4 of us all working at the same time... I think I created a monster... they all want to dive in and work on everything at the same time...and I' m all for that...except I know that there has to be a scheduled method of taking this car apart.....and be able to explain to them that certain things have to be dismantled in some what of an order...mostly so that their dad can keep up with the baggies and IDing everything...

again everyone...thanks

Don't forget tomorrow is Memorial Day..."If you love your freedom...thank a VET." flag.gif

Ed

sawzall-smiley.gif
rhodyguy
your pictures made this proceedure much easier than it would have been. my used uncracked dash is now in. the 14mm steel, wrong pitch nuts did not help much on pulling the the old one. one question. how in the name of hell do you get the two nuts behind the gauge cluster started short of cutting the metal channel?

kevin
lmcchesney
Of course you realize, having a new dash is the least benifit of what you have accomplished? My eldest son and self appointed heir of our 914 told me the other day, "No, I want it done this way, cause I don't want to have to re-do it in 30 years!"
Enjoy and savor.
L. McC
John2kx
Kevin,

Funny you mention those two nuts. I had to walk away from them at least twice and rethink what I was doing to prevent loosing my cool.

The whole time I was thinking there had to be a better way but what I ended up doing was placing nut underneath stud and using a set of hemostats to position on stud, then slip a flat head screwdriver under nut and then rotate nut with hemostats. The one on the right side of instrument cluster was allot easier and installed by myself. The one to the left was the toughest one. Since the stud on that side left hardly any thread at all exposed, I had my girlfriend push down on the dash while using the same tools listed above. Took about 20 minutes of dropping nut a unknown number of times before finally getting it started.

Current status: dash installed and windshield installed. Now to install instrument cluster and remount a/c evap along with various other interior pieces. My goal is to be on the road by sundown......10 hours from now.

John
rhodyguy
john, i guess i should have said my dash is almost fully installed. rolleyes.gif . between the valves and contorting under the dash i can't turn my head and my back is killing me. i'm not going to repull the wheel and gauge cluster at this point. no time. i'm still racing and hoping i can avoid the dnf. losing your cool? try droping the #4 spark plug under the tin, having it roll out of finger touch distance, on sunday, memorial day weekend, with the only spot in town that stocks the W7 CC closed until tues. headbang.gif headbang.gif

kevin
eresener
Kevin,
We were also stumped for awhile...until I was rummaging through my old toolbox and found an open end wrench from an old lawnmore...guess what it fit...was flat enough to fit between the metal flange and the space of the dash pad...and it was a hair loose...but it worked...it is now installed in the 914 nut removal hall of fame...and identified as such...I think both son and I now know exactly which tool to go fo to use in this area...no label needed...BTW I rattle canned it bright orange...just so we wouldn't lose it...

Ed
sawzall-smiley.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.