Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine deck lid installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
simonr
I took my deck lid off to ease my engine removal. I need to get it back on . Whats the easiest way to do this. Trying to get the bolts started while compressing the hinges isnt working for me. My wife wont help me anymore either. There has to be an easier way .
euro911
I know a lot of folks cut out the leading portion of the engine lid hinge brackets, creating a slot, then slide the brackets into the mounting tabs on the firewall with the bolts already partially threaded in ...
Kansas 914
QUOTE(euro911 @ May 14 2011, 04:01 PM) *

I know a lot of folks cut out the leading portion of the engine lid hinge brackets, creating a slot, then slide the brackets into the mounting tabs on the firewall with the bolts already partially threaded in ...

agree.gif I do this to all my 914's and anyone's I work on...
biosurfer1
Hm, thats a great idea. I usually just man handle them until I get the bolt going..having a second person helps a lot too, but I'm also tall enough to be on the opposite side of the car from them and reach over.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Kansas 914 @ May 14 2011, 03:25 PM) *

QUOTE(euro911 @ May 14 2011, 04:01 PM) *

agree.gif I do this to all my 914's and anyone's I work on...

I do it to my cars but never would do it to a customers car.some folks I know would have a shit fit.
computers4kids
IPB Image
pilothyer
If you don't want to slot the hinge, here is the one man method I use. Set the lid with the hinges resting on top of the brackets. Place a piece (wire, smaller bolt, etc) through into the hinge and the bracket on one side to keep it from sliding off. Put the hinge underthe bracket on the other side and install the bolt. Go to the other side and remove the piece you used and move the hinge to the underside of the bracket and start that bolt. Make the ness. adjustments and tighten the bolts.
914Sixer
Take a board that will go from grille to grill. Use it to rest lid on. Work on getting bolt in one side.
mrgjones
I usually just lean over the trunk, balancing the hood on my head until I get the first bolt partially started. It's kinda neat hearing all these solutions that people have come up with.
simonr
Geat ideas. I love to use my dremel so i think the slots will be in place tommorow!! Thaks to all for the help. This is a very helpful forum
championgt1
Slot the hinge. Loosen the bolts without taken them all the way out. Then you can take off and install the lid in a couple minutes! The best mod I have done to my car.
Dave_Darling
It can be a little difficult to get the washers on both sides of the bracket if you just slot 'em. It's doable, but I don't remember ever having to fight with the springs to install it before slotting the brackets. Just let the springs push everything in the "all the way open" direction, and start the bolt that way.

--DD
simonr
I slotted the hinges today . It took 10 minutes of adjusting it correctly. Its on and completes my project . Thanks again to all who responded
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.