Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 923 tranny? 915 with 901 input shaft
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fiid
So having bought a Kennedy adaptor for a 901 gearbox, and learning that my engine will probably turn it into a swarf bucket, I'm feeling rather stupid. Just how rare is the 923 (the 915 with the 901 input stuff), and what else would I need to know about it before hunting one down?

How much torque can they handle?

what else?
TimT
This is a new one for me...

what makes you think your 915 has 901 input shaft?

there were differences in the boxes that would not allow something like this...

but, most anything is possible...
Aaron Cox
uh-hum.... the 912E one year variant.
fiid
So it was one year in the 912E? Which year? Anyone got one?

Fiid.
skline
They only made the 912E one year, it was 1976. I would be interested to know if the trans is actually what you say.
Mueller
Tim....he wants a 915 that'll bolt up to a type IV flywheel/case

Fiid,

I "think" they only made 2099 912E's, so the odds do not look too good in your favor sad.gif
ChrisFoley
I would wager that there are more people looking for a 923 than there are available.
Bleyseng
Ask Jake Raby as he has two or three of them.

Geoff
Slowpoke
There was a guy selling just the input shaft a couple of months ago on ebay. He didn't get one bid. The starting bid was only $50. So, they are availible sometimes. Never did get re listed though. Maybe it sold after the auction. wink.gif

Peter
propricer
Another possibility ...

The early ( non-76 ) 912 case is supposedly stronger than the 901 case and yet is 'identical' in all other respects - i.e., simply swap the innards which, of course, is much more complicated with clearances, etc. than a simple swap !
It will ... again, supposedly ... endure 400HP vs the stock 901 which will handle only 300HP.
I am in the process of acquiring a 912 case which, by the way, is aluminum vs magnesium and intend to try it in my 327 CID 914 ... will also add an aluminum intermediate plate ( + H gear ).

Ed
Joe Bob
The 901 is pretty tough....the 1st gear is the weak link. Just don't do any burnouts.

Even if you DO....mine lasted two years with an LSD 901 mated to a 250 hp 3.0/6...... mueba.gif
Dr Evil
I'll be selling a good 915 soon out of a '74 911 if you are interested. I was wondering about trying to use it, but my project would then hit cost over run. PM me.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.