Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: spare tire mount
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mrbubblehead
ive noticed that a few people have relocated their spare tires to a vertical position. right in front of the stock fuel tank. i like the idea, but i cant find any pictures of the actual mount. if you have done modification or have any pictures of it, could you post them up for me?

beerchug.gif
Mike Bellis
I have a radiator up there but... I cut off the factory trunk floor mount and welded it to the rear trunk. Just use the spare to locate the bracket...

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
AZ914
BTW.. I think that only works if you are running a space saver spare. I believe a standard tire is too tall.
Usually the guys who have a front oil cooler do it so they can keep the spare up front.
Elliot Cannon
I made a nut plate that would occomodate the stock bolt that holds the spare in the stock horizontal position and welded it onto the aft wall of the front trunk. I welded an extension onto the hold-down bolt I bought from Bruce Stone. I bought a collapsable spare and carry a small "pony" SCUBA bottle to inflate it. A first stage of a SCUBA regulator can be found at dive shops and reduces the pressure down to about 120 psi. You can also find fairly cheep 12 volt compressors that will also work well.
SirAndy
QUOTE(kg6dxn @ May 15 2011, 08:21 AM) *
I cut off the factory trunk floor mount and welded it to the rear trunk. Just use the spare to locate the bracket...

Just FYI, the stock rear trunk already has provisions to secure a spare tire. There's a threaded hole in the cross-member that fits the stock tire lock-down.

I've been storing a full size spare in the rear trunk for years. Fits under the targa top too.

shades.gif
moparrob
Here's mine (copied from another member, tho)

IPB Image
eric9144
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2011, 12:18 PM) *

I cut off the factory trunk floor mount and welded it to the rear trunk. Just use the spare to locate the bracket...

Just FYI, the stock rear trunk already has provisions to secure a spare tire. There's a threaded hole in the cross-member that fits the stock tire lock-down.

I've been storing a full size spare in the rear trunk for years. Fits under the targa top too.

shades.gif

Here's a pic of where the factory 'rear' spare tire mount is...see the grommet on the carpet slightly left of center...
Click to view attachment
Pat Garvey
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2011, 01:18 PM) *

shades.gif

Yup!
tomeric914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2011, 03:18 PM) *

I always wondered what the heck that was for!

The spare bolted properly in place to the floor up front theoretically adds a measure of crash protection. Of course, with a front cooler or radiator, it isn't possible to mount the spare in that position.
PRS914-6
I made a nut plate and attached it to the gas tank side with a couple of rivets inserted from the trunk side. Doing it this way hides the assembly

I made a long stud and screwed it in the nut plate and used a lock nut to retain it, again on the tank side

I bought a 964 spare and if you look inside it has a factory foam insert with jack and tools. Looks and works great
Click to view attachment
mrbubblehead
thanks for all the advice everyone. it looks like you guys are using 5 lug space savers. did any cars come with a 4 lug space saver?
Eric_Shea
IPB Image

I believe 916's all had these. I used the original mount that was in the base of the trunk. It came out with the cutout from the oil cooler and I "picked" it off that piece to weld it on the wall.

If you get a space saver tire you can probably mount it on a 4-lug steel style wheel. Tire shops are not suppose to do it but, somehow one managed to find its' way on to my fachs.
Lou W
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 15 2011, 12:18 PM) *

shades.gif

Wow, didn't know that blink.gif
JmuRiz
I'm guessing it was so the GT cars could carry the spare for LeMans in the rear, since the front was full of oil-cooler and 100L fuel tanks....any confirmation on this one.

BTW, I've carried one in the back for a while too, when I was moving my car from house-to-house, had the stocker up front, space-saver in the back and extra top in the trunk as well. biggrin.gif
mepstein
"The spare bolted properly in place to the floor up front theoretically adds a measure of crash protection"

I was told this when I bought my car and it does make sense. Think about the kind of shock a wheel and tire handle on a bumpy road. 16 guage sheetmetal isn't very forgiving. Also told not to use fiberglass bumpers on a street car for same reason. One of the reasons I resisted a GT front oil cooler on my conversion... but I have relented.
Eric_Shea
Mark... you'll have so much into it, that you'll want to die with it in the event of a crash. biggrin.gif
Nürburg Nomad
I did this modification to mine just last summer, I'll try to rememer to post photos in the next two days if possible! It has to be a compact spare in order to fit in the vertical position; I mounted mine on the drivers side to fit with the battery mount installed on the passenger side, only I replaced the leaky acid battery disaster with a dry cell Optima Red Top.

With the help of 2 friends, (who happen to have assorted metal scraps of all sorts on hand) I fabricated a mount out of very heavy steal, similar in apperance to the factory mount. The threaded portion is a 1/4" thick rectangle of steel tapped on a drill press, welded to two thinner pieces of steel to elevate it +/- 2" and then mounted the compact 5-lug 911 spare (back of wheel facing firewall) with an NOS Porsche spare tire hold down bolt & plate! smile.gif
Scott S
one bolt, two big fender washers, one nut, one factory hold down center plate and one wing nut (additional to the one that drives the car). Fits perfect.

I had a 4.5" 356 wheel floating around. I took it to a local tire shop. They had a pile of space saver take offs from folks that had upgraded to full size spares. They did the swap no problem. It did lose air for the first time this past year, I will need to look into that (it has been fine for 7 years or so). But it filled right up with the compressor.
mepstein
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ May 17 2011, 11:12 AM) *

Mark... you'll have so much into it, that you'll want to die with it in the event of a crash. biggrin.gif

LOL - No!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.