Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Twisty Road Tour Pre-drive
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Events Forum > Past Event Planning Threads
JeffBowlsby
It was a productive time yesterday to all who drove the pre-drive with us. There were 6 914s in all...plus Tom Trudell....Keith Sammons, Ken Schipper, Dave Darling, myself and two others who just dropped in. Sandy Chambliss and Jay Swegman....both were really enthusiastic about the 914Cluub and had beautiful cars. I hope they will join us again...maybe even be at portions of the WCC.

Tom Trudell (main photographer) had gone to Laguna earlier in the day and scoped it all out for the best lighting conditions and photo-op position. He didnt leave until we did around 5:00pm...thanks Tom for your efforts, it looks like it will pay off next week.

As far as the actual Road Tour went it was near 100 miles and took a solid 2 hours...at a brisk pace. It was too long and it was decided to cut the length a bit. We studied the map and chose a revised route and I drove it on the way back to San Jose.

The route I would like to do is very similar to the one on the map. After the breakfast we drive the route as previously marked. When we get to Carlton Road at Highway 129, instead of turning right we turn left on Highway 129 and go over to Highway 101 South, then take Highway 68 to Laguna. I will post a revised map in this thread as soon as I can get one together.

This revised route saved most of the scenic parts of the previous route, and cut the time down to 1 hour 45 minutes and 80 miles at the posted speed limit. I think its achievable if we can get everyone rolling between 9:15-9:30, that will put us at Luguna at 11:00-11:15.

Each of the drivers needs to be really cognizant of the posted speed limits. There is a natural slinky effect that will occur that is unavoidable. If any of the cars take off at a fast pace, the cars behind will be dropped. If you can't see a 914 behind you, slow down, you are going too fast. It will make the trip much more enjoyable for everyone if we can remain together, and it will minimize or avoid having to pull over all the time to wait for those behind to catch up.
Keith Sammons
wink.gif Happy Anniversary Jeff - If it's time we want to save and our starting point is adjacent to Hwy 101, it might be better, as Ken suggested, to get immediatley on 101South/Exit onto Hwy 129West and picking up the route by a left turn onto Murphy Crossing Rd - then using Castroville Rd east to merge onto Hwy 156East/Hwy 1South to Hwy 68East. This would illiminate time lost looping around east on Hwy 129 to get back to a Hwy 101South/Hwy68West route. Also, it suddenly occurs to me that, for those that would like to return in a group, might come back on Hwy1North through the scenic Santa Cruz mountains, which would drop them right back to the Prunyard Inn.

Just some thoughts,
KK
Demick
QUOTE(bowlsby @ May 30 2004, 06:21 AM)
There were 6 914s in all...plus Tom Trudell....Keith Sammons, Ken Schipper, Dave Darling, myself and two others who just dropped in. Sandy Chambliss and Jay Swegman

Do I interpret this correctly that Dave Darling showed up in a 914 - as in his own???? As of a couple weeks ago he told me it was still not running. Maybe he's trying to keep it under wraps until the WCC?

Demick
Jenny
I saw Dave's 914 yesterday at Brad's shop. And dave was there. Now, I didn't actually SEE him drive up in the teener, but I didn't see the yellow CRX either. ph34r.gif

Jen
JeffBowlsby
101South/Exit onto Hwy 129West and picking up the route by a left turn onto Murphy Crossing Rd - then using Castroville Rd east to merge onto Hwy 156East/Hwy 1South to Hwy 68East.

After studying the map it seemed like the most scenic part of our pre-drive occurred before Hwy 129, which is why I wanted to include it. I think it may be easier to navigate also as there are not as many small streets to lok out for.

Unless ther are any strong objections, I will finalize the route maps to show the route I suggested above and include it in the event brochure.
JeffBowlsby
Do I interpret this correctly that Dave Darling showed up in a 914 - as in his own????

I dont know nuthin...I didnt see nuthin...Dave who?

biggrin.gif
Demick
QUOTE(bowlsby @ Jun 1 2004, 11:47 AM)
I dont know nuthin...I didnt see nuthin...Dave who?

biggrin.gif

Ha Ha. Just as I suspected......
Carl
101South/Exit onto Hwy 129West and picking up the route by a left turn onto Murphy Crossing Rd - then using Castroville Rd east to merge onto Hwy 156East/Hwy 1South to Hwy 68East

OK, so I'm confused here. Are all of the Easts & Wests correct? It doesn't seem right that we should be using Castroville Road east and Hwy 156 east to get to Hwy 1.

When it's decided, I'd appreciate a written description of our route to Laguna Seca before Friday so I can set up the GPS.

Also, I sent a proposed return route to Jeff for those who want more twisty road terrain that goes from Watsonville to Corralitos to Summit Road. It may not be for everyone but there are some beautiful roads that show off the redwoods and the coast range. This route from Watsonville to the Pruneyard is 50 miles and ~2 hours.

Carl
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.