Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Best tire tread
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Elliot Cannon
I'll be having my wheels balanced this week and was wondering what is best for my 914. If two of my tires are better than the other two, is it better to have the best tires on the front or back? confused24.gif idea.gif
sean_v8_914
dry climate street car: I kill teh fronts so that is where I would put the good tires
wet climate street car: I would put the good tread on teh back because understeer is more predictable. dont want the rear to brake loose in teh wet
track or AX: i smoke teh rears faster so teh meat goes onthe rear
messix
back
J P Stein
Which end would you rather have go flat if you hit something on the road?
hot_shoe914
front
Tom_T
IMHO - front, cuz a blow out on the steering wheels is a b**ch, whereas you can control it if a rear blows.
messix
bad tread up front, good tread in back.

having the back end swap ends in a corner due to hyproplaning =bad

you will have control of the car with the steering wheel to counter any problem up front, there is no control over where the back end is going.

Cap'n Krusty
Bad in the front, good in the rear. Contrary to what was said earlier, you can control the front in the event of a deflation by using the steering wheel. The back offers no such aid.

The Cap'n
billh1963
Buy 4 new tires. I don't play with tires or brakes....if you can't stop or stay on the road it's bad news
ewdysar
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 18 2011, 04:42 PM) *

Bad in the front, good in the rear. Contrary to what was said earlier, you can control the front in the event of a deflation by using the steering wheel. The back offers no such aid.

The Cap'n

agree.gif The tire industry answer is to put the better tires on the rear for exactly the reason described by the Cap'n
MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(billh1963 @ May 18 2011, 04:49 PM) *

Buy 4 new tires. I don't play with tires or brakes....if you can't stop or stay on the road it's bad news

agree.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.