Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Running hot?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
MikeM
Guys....what is the first thing you do if you suspect your car is running hot?
I took my car for a drive tonight. Nice and cool here tonight but soon the needle on the temp. gauge was touching the "p" in TEMP. It did jump up a bit when I turned on the headlights but I think it's too hot!!!
BTW...I'm experimenting with the flaps, and it makes no difference if they are in the hot position or the cold position.
Thanks,
Mike

74 2.0 liter
Elliot Cannon
You might be getting a bogus reading on your gauge. Why would the temp jump up when you turned on the lights? My cyl head temp would jump 300 degrees when I turned on my lights and I think it was because the wire for the cht was jammed against the cooling tin very hard. I had VERY tight spark plug grommets pushing against the wire. Check the wiring from the sender to the gauge. Maybe the insulation has worn off somewhere and is touching metal. (Or maybe your engine is just running hot). confused24.gif
Dave_Darling
Did this just start? If so, check for debris in your fan. Also check that the thermostat flaps are operating; in particular make sure they open all the way when the engine is warm.

--DD
mburkhart
QUOTE(Dave_Darling @ May 15 2011, 11:09 PM) *

Did this just start? If so, check for debris in your fan. Also check that the thermostat flaps are operating; in particular make sure they open all the way when the engine is warm.

--DD

Can someonw post some photos on what the flaps should look like in the closed and open positions? My car is also runnimg hot all of a sudden this year too.
Dave_Darling
Pics don't do a lot of good with these, since the flaps are hidden under the engine tin.

The cross-shaft that connects the flaps together runs across the engine in front of the oil filler tower. There is a tab on it, with a spring hooked onto the tab. The spring pulls the tab upward. The cable from the thermostat pulls the tab down and aft.

If there is no cross-shaft, someone removed it and probably at least the driver's side flap. That is not great, but not horrible. It is possible that they also removed the passenger's side flap. That is horrible; it will keep most of the air from flowing through the oil cooler. You'll have to pull off the upper engine tin on the right side of the motor to verify, which is a pain in the butt.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.