Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Memorial Day
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
eresener
Just want to remind everyone ...

IF YOU LOVE YOUR FRREDOM...THANK A VET.

...... for anyone who has forgotten what tomorrow is really about.

Ed

Plekiu RVN...'69

sawzall-smiley.gif
eresener
Bump

If you have ever been to a National Cemetery... and seen those rows of white crosses...or visited "The Wall"...

You are not forgotten....

Ed
ablose58
AMEN BROTHER
Dominic
QUOTE(eresener @ May 30 2004, 02:37 PM)
Just want to remind everyone ...

IF YOU LOVE YOUR FRREDOM...THANK A VET.

...... for anyone who has forgotten what tomorrow is really about.

Ed

Plekiu RVN...'69

sawzall-smiley.gif

To Ed and all of the other Vets who browse these boards, We thank you for your service and we will never forget the sacrifices you have made for this great country!

//SIGNED//
DOMINIC A. CILIA, TSgt, USAF
18 Years of Service
DNHunt
Thanks all you guys. I never served so all I can offer is my appreciation.

God Bless you

Dave
djm914-6
or visited "The Wall"...
My father's name is on that wall. I've only seen it once but I'll never forget the impact that black cut in American soil had on me. The sad thing is that I was touched almost as much yesterday when I opened the Sunday Paper Comics. Doonesbury is a MUST read this week.

God bless our solders and vets!
Mountain914
Memorial Day was originally called "Decoration day" and first observed in 1868 to commemorate the more than 600,000 who died in the Civil war. (See http://my.homewithgod.com/mkcathy/holiday/...y/memorial.html for more info).

IPB Image As someone who works and volunteers at the VA Hospital (and a Vet myself) I salute those who served and paid the ultimate price that we can drive free !! IPB Image
Dr Evil
How manny Vets are there here? I'm one...feels wierd to say at almost 28 years old.

drunk.gif Heres one for me and one for my homies! Thank you my brothers in arms.
Gint
Define Vet. I've had lots of good arguments over this one in the past. I did a stint in the Navy. No war though. Does that make me a vet?
Gint
Count me in (according to Meriam-Webster):

Main Entry: vet·er·an
Pronunciation: 've-t&-r&n, 've-tr&n
Function: noun
Etymology: Latin veteranus, from veteranus, adjective, old, of long experience, from veter-, vetus old -- more at WETHER
1 a : an old soldier of long service b : a former member of the armed forces
2 : a person of long experience in some occupation or skill (as politics or the arts)
TheCabinetmaker
Gint, I believe there are classifications for veterans and veterans of foreign wars. If you served in the military during a war, then you are veteran of that war. If you served in the military, you are indeed a veteran, and should be respected as such.

SSgt, USAF
375th tactical fighter squadron
Thakli, Thailand.
1969/1970
eresener
Dave,
A number of my friends are on "The Wall"...far too many...but I want you to know that I consider your father... a brother...

If anyone out there ever gets the opportunity to either visit DC and "The Wall" or even the moving Wall...do it...the experience will humble you to no end. I am 56 years old and it still brings tears to my eyes... the first time I visited the Wall I could not get within 25 yards of it...it was just too much...since then I have layed my mementos at its base and said good-bye to my friends...

Gint, you are a vet and don't let enyone ever tell you any different.

Ed
wheelo
Amen - Brother !
I almost got wacked, twice, during my six years in U.S.C.G. We got plenty of action, even during peace-time. But ... IMHO ... as was mentioned.... Our Combat "Vet's" deserve MAXIMUM praise and thanks! For ... Going to Hell and back ... while we enjoy our many luxuries and freedoms ...
Never Forget !
flag.gif
Dr Evil
Yup, I almost died 5 times in my 6 years in the USCG. At least the shipping on my carcas would have been domestic for most of those times. biggrin.gif

AT2 Mike
djm914-6
From an Electrical Trade Newsletter:

It is the VETERAN, not the preacher,
who has given us freedom of religion.

It is the VETERAN, not the reporter,
who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the VETERAN, not the poet,
who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the VETERAN, not the campus organizer,
who has given us freedom to assemble.

It is the VETERAN, not the lawyer,
who has given us the right to a fair trial.

It is the VETERAN, not the politician,
Who has given us the right to vote.

It is the VETERAN,
who salutes the Flag,

who serves under the Flag,

I don't know if you saw this in the news but it really impressed me. Funny, our US Senate/House took 2 days off as they couldn't work.
On the ABC evening news, it was reported during Hurricane Isabelle that, because of the dangers from Hurricane approaching Washington DC, the military members assigned the duty of guarding the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier were given permission to suspend the assignment.

They refused. "No way, Sir!"

Soaked to the skin, marching in the pelting rain of a tropical storm, they said that guarding the Tomb was not just an assignment, it was the highest honor that can be afforded to a serviceperson.

The tomb has been patrolled continuously, 24/7, since 1930.

I don't usually suggest that many emails be forwarded, but I'd be so proud if this one reached as many as possible.

We can be very proud of our men and women in uniform!
djm914-6
Thanks for the comments Ed. It means a lot.

I was only 13 months old on April 16 1971. That was the day my father and two other Rangers went into the jungle of Laos and only one came back. For 33 years, that one has wanted to talk with me, but I never had the guts. Maybe I should find the courage soon.

Anyone who serves our country should be held in the highest reguard. Thank you!
JohnB
To Dave and all you other fine gentlemen who have served, my hat is off to you.

I live in the DC area and frequently host relatives and friends who want to visit the nation's capital. My wife works for the House of Representatives and her father is retired Navy. Her brothers were all in the Coast Guard (2 of them lifers), one of whom has had a few missions to the middle east in the last two years. My grandfather fought in Germany in WW1 (yes, the Great War) and I remember him telling stories about it. In short, we're connected, at least tangentially, to you who have served. My service was done in another line of duty for the Navy and another government agency and I am proud of my minor contributions.

Every single time I visit the Vietnam Memorial or the Korean War Memorial or any of the other symbols soluting our veteran's sacrifices I am awed, humbled, and thankful. The view from Arlington National Cemetary towards DC from the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier inspires respect for our fallen forefathers like nothing else I've ever seen. To see the ceremony in real life, up close and personal, makes it much more vivid than anything you'll ever see on TV about it.

We owe each of you a debt. Poor pay, lousy working conditions, and dangerous duty can only mean those who serve do so because they want to and not for the perks.

Thank you all! flag.gif

john
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.