Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Roll Bar
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
EdArango
Hey everyone,

I kinda like this bar...Does anyone know where I can get one like this??
Please let me know

Ed

Click to view attachment
sixnotfour
Ed, while this is a GT style bar, it has limitations, how tall are you ?

I am 6ft and its a head banger neeeds a head rest, if you are using high back seats it will limiit how far your seat can go back.

i stole this from armandos site;
Armanodo is fairly short, we have same seat and rails, but his seat is mounted on 2inch risers, mine is on th floor , and without a helmet I lean back 2inches and boom there it is.
EdArango
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2011, 11:15 AM) *

Ed, while this is a GT style bar, it has limitations, how tall are you ?

I am 6ft and its a head banger neeeds a head rest, if you are using high back seats it will limiit how far your seat can go back.

i stole this from armandos site;
Armanodo is fairly short, we have same seat and rails, but his seat is mounted on 2inch risers, mine is on th floor , and without a helmet I lean back 2inches and boom there it is.

Hum....I see your point. I'm pretty short 5'6" but my son is about 5'11" and will be driving the car as well.....maybe I should make him get his own car.

Any other suggestions on roll bars for these cars???

Thanks!
SirAndy
That top bar is way low! blink.gif

On my car, the top tube sits much higher. I'm 6.1 ish and clear my bar with no problem ...

Btw. wasn't McMark going to make a GT rollbar replica kit?
idea.gif
mepstein
What do you need a roll bar for?
What are you trying to accomplish?
sixnotfour
most non factory are more like this for head /seat room
SirAndy
Here's a pic of mine:

IPB Image
Rand
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 16 2011, 11:44 AM) *
idea.gif

That's what I was recalling. And it would be the proper height modeled after the real GT setup.
sixnotfour
yippee
SirAndy
QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2011, 12:56 PM) *

yippee

The last one you posted (the silver car) won't work for a car that still uses the targa top. That's Randal's car and it's open cockpit.

The first one you posted is mine, and the targa top fits just fine over the cage, even with thick padding on it.

shades.gif
carr914
You can still get the GT Style with the V-Brace through Stable Energies
Zimms
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 16 2011, 02:44 PM) *

idea.gif

McMark's GT bar
EdArango
QUOTE(mepstein @ May 16 2011, 11:46 AM) *

I would like to be able to AX the car in a modified class....I also am building a GT type car. Oh...and I think the roll bars look cool! w00t.gif
EdArango
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 16 2011, 01:01 PM) *

QUOTE(sixnotfour @ May 16 2011, 12:56 PM) *

yippee

The last one you posted (the silver car) won't work for a car that still uses the targa top. That's Randal's car and it's open cockpit.

The first one you posted is mine, and the targa top fits just fine over the cage, even with thick padding on it.

shades.gif

Andy....How easy is it to get in and out of the car with that roll bar or is it a pain in the backside?

ED
SirAndy
QUOTE(EdArango @ May 16 2011, 04:48 PM) *
Andy....How easy is it to get in and out of the car with that roll bar or is it a pain in the backside?

With the low door bars i have, it's actually easier for my old bones as i can push myself up using the bar.
And when the top is off, i can grab the top bar to lift me up with the other hand.

biggrin.gif

You can see the lower cage bar (Ignore the temporary door brace). It's perfect for getting in and out of the car ...

Lou W
QUOTE(EdArango @ May 16 2011, 02:52 PM) *

I would like to be able to AX the car in a modified class....I also am building a GT type car. Oh...and I think the roll bars look cool! w00t.gif

laugh.gif
76-914
QUOTE(EdArango @ May 16 2011, 10:25 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Please let me know

Ed

Click to view attachment

I'm not a structural engineer and perhaps one will weigh in on this. Isn't this device relying upon the rear bulkhead/firewall for downward force (or upward if your inverted and in need of protection). And if so, has the section that was removed from said bulkhead/firewall weakened it's ability to support the roll bar? confused24.gif
carr914
QUOTE(76-914 @ May 17 2011, 11:28 AM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ May 16 2011, 10:25 AM) *

Hey everyone,

Please let me know

Ed

Click to view attachment

I'm not a structural engineer and perhaps one will weigh in on this. Isn't this device relying upon the rear bulkhead/firewall for downward force (or upward if your inverted and in need of protection). And if so, has the section that was removed from said bulkhead/firewall weakened it's ability to support the roll bar? confused24.gif

No, the upward/downward force would go primarily to the feet of the bar that is attached at the longs. I would think that the V-Brace would be more for side loads.

And as others have said, that bar is too low
mrdkrantz
QUOTE(EdArango @ May 16 2011, 01:25 PM) *

Hey everyone,

Please let me know

Ed

Click to view attachment

Agree... I would like a bar like this too...
I would buy a kit that was a weld up.
-tubes were bent and cut
-plates to size
EdArango
QUOTE(mrdkrantz @ May 17 2011, 09:25 AM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ May 16 2011, 01:25 PM) *

Hey everyone,

Please let me know

Ed

Click to view attachment

Agree... I would like a bar like this too...
I would buy a kit that was a weld up.
-tubes were bent and cut
-plates to size

Is there anyone out there that is willing to make a few adjustments based on member recommendations to this bar, manufacture them and create a group buy??
Would anyone be interested in this??

Elliot Cannon
A roll cage is just a pain in the ass to get in and out of the car with the roof on or off. I have a quick release steering wheel and it's STILL a pain in the ass. I can remove the cross bars in the doors and it's even STILL a pain in the ass to get in and out of. I just kills me when someone Andy's age talks about "old bones". laugh.gif

Cheers, Elliot
RiqueMar

I think if you have any sort of roll bar/cage, you are then required to use a full race harness. Cool for the track, dangerous on the street.
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(RiqueMar @ May 17 2011, 01:26 PM) *

I think if you have any sort of roll bar/cage, you are then required to use a full race harness. Cool for the track, dangerous on the street.

A very wise comment coming from a seventeen year old. lol-2.gif
RiqueMar
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 17 2011, 04:57 PM) *

QUOTE(RiqueMar @ May 17 2011, 01:26 PM) *

A very wise comment coming from a seventeen year old. lol-2.gif

lol, I wish I was a bit younger so I could say, "Hey! Hey! Hey! Seventeen AND A HALF!"
ConeDodger
QUOTE(EdArango @ May 17 2011, 11:14 AM) *

Is there anyone out there that is willing to make a few adjustments based on member recommendations to this bar, manufacture them and create a group buy??

If McMark wasn't working on an important project for me I would tell you that McMark can McMake them for you... biggrin.gif But since he is working on my fuel injection harness I am going to keep it quiet for now... biggrin.gif
Elliot Cannon
QUOTE(ConeDodger @ May 17 2011, 06:03 PM) *

QUOTE(EdArango @ May 17 2011, 11:14 AM) *

If McMark wasn't working on an important project for me I would tell you that McMark can McMake them for you... biggrin.gif But since he is working on my fuel injection harness I am going to keep it quiet for now... biggrin.gif

That's funny, he told me he gave up on your car. confused24.gif
avidfanjpl
Now I am getting depressed.

On a good day I am 5'9" and with my purchase of Jonathan's/Thomases Dark Knight, I need to throw something in that avoids the OLD BONES issues that Elliot speaks of.

Any suggestions based on this pic?

And Ed, I am NOT trying to steal your thread. I think we both are in the same boat, and I hate cold water far from shore.

Thanks!

John

hissyfit.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

EdArango
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ May 18 2011, 12:29 AM) *

Now I am getting depressed.

On a good day I am 5'9" and with my purchase of Jonathan's/Thomases Dark Knight, I need to throw something in that avoids the OLD BONES issues that Elliot speaks of.

Any suggestions based on this pic?

And Ed, I am NOT trying to steal your thread. I think we both are in the same boat, and I hate cold water far from shore.

Thanks!

John

hissyfit.gif

No worries at all John!! It's great to keep this thread regarding roll bars going...It's just more knowledge for all of us!!!
Thanks!!!

Any suggestions for the Dark Knight????? Please post!!
jt914-6
My roll cage was patterned from the Safety Devices bolt in roll cage. It used the plate on the firewall like in the first pics. Decided not to use the SD cage and used it for a pattern instead. Decided not to use the plate and welded a bar to the firewall and attached to it as you can see in the pic. I sold the bolt in cage when it's use for a pattern was done..... welder.gif

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment
avidfanjpl
Hey Ed!

Since I am looking at one like you, Greg Brinton in Stanton is doing mine. He is a famous VW dragger working on Porsches now. He is a rollbar dude!

And helping with the PCA code is Cooper Boggs, the AX and DE safety director for PCA OCR.

Tomorrow night we decide on the shape and seats and belts, so I will tell you. Greg will probably do a drawing right on the pictures.

And of course, you can talk to him about pricing.

He is my main heavy bodywork guy, Cooper is the detailer and components guy I use. I have all kinds of things they have done.

And NO, I am not going to go for the full cage version. I am not expecting to trade paint at any time. Mostly AX's and we all know that 914's are damn hard to flip.

Unless you roll up over a tail dragger that has money but can't really drive his 2010 GT3 anywhere close to correctly.

I see them typically fly through a turn backwards with cones stuck under them each month!

One actually went through the finish light traps backwards and forgot to put both feet in. CRUNCHYCRUNCH WENT THE TRANNY!

So it goes!

John
wallys914
Sorry to high jack the thread but could anyone speak to the SCCA rules on the design of jt914-6 hoop X above? I was wondering if anyone would see a design or sanctioning body issue with a design like this? I am in the end of finishing my new cage and want to do and X in the rear hoop similar to this and really like this design... any thoughts...

Thanks....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.